• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gas augers

Question

Are single blade gas powered augers a good buy? I don't ice fish a whole lot but at times a hand powered auger can work up a sweat if drilling a lot of wholes!

3 answers to this question

that depends if you're buying it from walmart new for 200 or at a garage sale for 25. If you're going new and looking for something barebones, dependable and good for the money, ....take a look at a few of the eskimos(such as the mako). When say single blade augers, I just assumed you were talking about the strikemasters at walmart or something. Jiffys are single blade and worth every penny. But I've also heard a few guys say that a good hand auger won't break much of a sweat.

I bought a new Jiffy for around $275 last spring and my elbows are very glad I did. I have athritic elbows and they hurt bad the entire winter last year. This year they feel great.

A really good sharp hand auger can drill a hole as fast as a lot of augers I've watched on lakes.(but not my new jiffy) If you go fishing and hunker over a pair of holes the entire day that would probably do most people just fine, but I don't do that.

[This message has been edited by Big-Al (edited 01-28-2003).]