• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

gas augers

mr marbles

Question

holdyourmouthright:

I'm not pulling your leg when I say it doesn't really matter much.

All the Big Three cut fast, but each has its drawbacks.

Jiffies are heavier because they use heavy duty gears in the gear box. Strikemasters are lighter (lighter gears) and may cut faster, but are prone to ice buildup on the blades, which Jiffy's new Teflon blades and older chipper blades are not.

I know about the ice buildup because I have a Strikemaster with the two-blade system and the center point. First hole great, second hole great, third hole VERY slow, fourth hole slow, then all the rest of the holes you cut in that session are fast, fast, fast. You can lessen the buildup by lubricating the blades, as mentioned, or by leaving the auger spinning a bit in the hole after water has gushed in.

As for Eskimo, I've only used one, and the gearbox sounded like it was coming apart (cut great, though). A guy I know who sells all three sez Eskimos often sound like that, but the live as long as the other two. Eskimo tends to be cheaper because they don't spend big bucks on ad campaigns like the other two.

So you places your bets and takes your chances.

As for Strikemaster being faster (and remember, I'm a Strikemaster owner), we're talking a second or two on a hole through 2-foot ice. Big deal.

Also, if you're going with an 8-inch auger, get a 2hp. If a 10-inch, get a 3hp. Lots of guys out there powering a 10-inch with a 2hp, but several service guys have told me it stresses a 2hp engine too much, and they'll break down sooner. Not to mention, a 2hp weighs less. I prefer the 10-inch hole (I have a 3hp Lazer XL-3000) because there's so much room.

Good luck.