• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

defining the bottom with FL-8

Question

I know you are suppose to be able to tell what type of bottom your fishing in based on the thickness of the red line and the trailing echo on the FL-8, but I sure can't tell very well. Does the size of the trailing echo define how soft the bottom is? Any suggestions?

2 answers to this question

Your battery power will affect this also, along with how deep a water you are fishing. But yes, extra bottom echos often mean hard bottom, the lack of an extra bottom echo can mean a soft bottom. Try leaving your gain at one setting and getting to know what it is reading.. An underwater camera like an aqua-vu will also help in learning what your vex is telling you... Once you have used the two togeather for a while you can gets somewhat accurate in guessing bottom composition by looking at your vex!

Fish,

My FL8 shows a very slight green line as bottom in sandy areas--I noticed this this year while using my camera at the same time.

I also realized how much of a "Dead Zone" there is on the FL8 between my Jig/Bait and true bottom--on the FL8 it looks like 6". My bait disappears off the flasher and looks like it should be laying on the bottom of the lake, but it's actually hovering in the "dead zone" just off the bottom--hence the reason for the FL18.

This "dead zone" is where a majority of our prey sits in the winter (perch,'eyes)as they come into the cone-zone to look at our offerings.

In watching the "dead zone" I've learned to notice when I have a fish hugging the bottom because the bottom indicator line on the FL8 begins to flutter slightly. Now when I see the flutter and the fish are neutral, I'll drop my offering right on the bottom and they will just pick it up if they want it.

------------------
Chells