• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Using Threeway Rigs

Question

When I'm trolling a three way rig with either live bait or floating Rapala,in the river, do I want to keep my main line vertical, if so will an out board spook the fish? or do I use a super long leader to try to keep the bait awy from the boat?If anyone can shed alittle light on the subject it would be much apreciated.Thanks

3 answers to this question

I dont like to have the line at much less than a 60 deg. angle when it enters the water. If it get to a 45 deg. it tends to hang up a lot more. The leader is usually around 5-6', too long and the bait digs too much.

Rob

More of an angle on your main line drags a sinker along the bottom and tends to hang up more.A shorter line with less angle helps the sinker over snags(kind of lifts the sinker when it hits an obstruction).I was taught this many years ago by an impatient father grin.gif.I have fished with many guys in very rocky situations and I always tend to snag less than the guy with his line out further.What you want to do is use the smallest weight to just maintain contact with the bottom,the sinker should just be ticking the bottom.As far as spooking fish with an outboard,I don't worry about it.A study was done by InFisherman several years ago with underwater sound equipment and they found out that an electric trolling motor makes more noise than a small outbaord.It seems the frequency of the electric motor under water is noisier than the gears or exhuast from the outboard.I use an electric and I still catch fish once and awhile.

[This message has been edited by fishhead (edited 04-02-2001).]

Thanks Guys,I apreciate your response.Has anyone else heard more about that outboard vs. elect. motor noise? Thats pretty interesting,I've never knew that.