• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which Power Auger?

Question

I've decided I need a power auger this year. It'll probably be a Strikemaster, because they are readily available in my area and I've heard good things about their customer service. I usually fish for panfish, walleye sometimes. I'm on foot, so weight is a concern. I'm looking at a 2hp, with an 8" auger. But, which model? Is there any advantage of one blade type over another?

Mike

First Ice

Sorry for the late response - been away from the forums for a few days.

To answer your question - would I upgrade from the chipper blade system? At this time, no. The chipper system is cutting just fine. I don't see alot of differance between a 45 second hole and a 50 second hole.

Saturday afternoon, I cut about 18 holes thru 12" ice (there was a group of us fishing tip-ups). Took me maybe 15-20 minutes - that included the walk around time.

I did check w/ Strikemaster - any auger they make will fit any motor - so upgrade is an option - I just don't see the need at this time.

UG

15-20 minutes? Holy cow!!!!

I drilled 60 holes last night (yes, I counted)...14 inches of ice. The most I drilled at one time was 18. I am not sure, but I don't think it took more then 10 seconds a hole.....

I'll time it today.....

PCG