• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mr. Heater Vs. Poulan

Question

I need to pick up a heater to use in a Frabill Hideout. I have looked at both the Mr. Heater Buddy and the Poulan look-a-like.
The Poulan unit seems less "tippy". It looks like they may use the same guts.

Any opinions?

7 answers to this question

The problem I have with the Buddy heater is the wind in the fish house on those windy days....... it wants to blow out easy. I use it in a fishtrap pro.
Electronic ignition is nice.
On sale for $79
I still like it anyways.

[This message has been edited by crappie todd (edited 12-20-2002).]

I have both a Frabill hideout and a Mr. Heater, although the tent is about ten years old and not exactly like the newer ones. Anyway, the heater is so far so good. As far as tipping goes, it has an automatic shut off. I've left the heater on while pulling the tent just forty or fifty feet to change spots and had it shut off on me so it must be pretty sensitive. It heats pretty well although we haven't had the hard core cold yet. I went through the first can of propane pretty fast, at least compared to my old heater which was a Coleman Focus 5, but it was on high most of the time. I don't know anything about the other brand you mentioned.

Juggs,
It didn't go out because it is sensitve, it probably went out because of a breeze. The buddys seem to go out if you exhale to hard around them. I chose to not take it back because I like the clean heat it produces but, I am trying to devise a way to put a metal gaurd on it to deflect wind and protect the pilot. If Mr. Heater wants to sell any next ice season I suggest they figure something out and do the same!

I have the Mr. Heater/cooker for my portable. It is a 4'X 8' homemade, so it has a small draft constantly, but the heater does a great job. It heats the house quickly, and keeps it warm on the low/medium setting. I bought the adapter to use it with a 20" tank, which makes it easier as far as fuel goes.

The two types are the Buddy from Mr. Heater and then a knock off one that sells for $69.99 less right now at Gander Mountains in Minnesota. The only dif. with the knock off is that it heats to 1000 BTU less than the Buddy. I would definately go with the Buddy. I chilly mornings and then nice days, it keeps the chill off the back as I keep my buddy on the floor of the tube on my fishtrap pro.
OTHERWISE go with a MR.Heater cooker...keep it on low setting and that will keep you plenty warm all day long no matter the condition.
-B