• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Got New Gear

Question

Well when I got to work today my ice fishing stuff had arrived, WAAAHOOO! So I got to play with the new Genz and St.Croix rods and the Vex FL-18. We'll i will have to say that the vexilar video was not that impressive, it gets the job done but was expecting mored on the unit seeing smaller lures. I can't wait to get it out on the water. The FL-18 is a little noisier than I expected but is my first flasher. I think I gave my self a brain scan while doing a dry run, was neat. And YES there are fish swimming around in my head. I did put the foam under the battery first thing. And the unit came with a little arm if you don't want to use the float, to bad there is not a little bracket for it to snap into while not in use. Definately nice and bright. I was expecting a longer transducer cable, it seems short, but will do fine. The depth cord grip seems awfully tight. well I will have to get out there with the new toys this week. I do also have to say that the rods seem shorter and softer than I expected, but very nice none the less.

3 answers to this question

Its fine for ice, but I was thinking of for using it as a portable for like fishing off a pier where the water may be 10' down or so. I am using the VEX in propac form from a boat in open water until I can get to some ice. I was planning on going to Mammoth Ca but just found out they banned the ice fishing 2 years ago.