• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

FL-18 Version 2 results

Question

Quick question, earlier I thought I read some people had MORE problems with their 18 after getting the versions 2 installed. My AZ does jump to around 3 feet sometimes, which sucks for suspended crappies. I know I can trick it by pulling the transducer up after setting it, but if the product is good, I shouldn't have to. Any thoughts? I am probably heading to Vex on Wed to get the update, but wanted to check with folks before I do. Does Version 2 work better?

Thanks

7 answers to this question

DR. Zoom is really not needed for suspended fish. The zoom is meant to target fish on bottom. What is probably happening is the zoom is being tricked into thinking the fish you are marking up high is actually the bottom depending on how thick the school is. The zoom is meant to look at bottom to 6 feet up. You also need to restart the unit with zoom on if you take it out of the hole. It locks in on the bottom and needs to be reset. Also, if the bottom your fishing is soft, you should get the update done.
Good Luck

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

Quick question, earlier I thought I read some people had MORE problems with their 18 after getting the versions 2 installed. My AZ does jump to around 3 feet sometimes, which sucks for suspended crappies. I know I can trick it by pulling the transducer up after setting it, but if the product is good, I shouldn't have to. Any thoughts? I am probably heading to Vex on Wed to get the update, but wanted to check with folks before I do. Does Version 2 work better?

Thanks

By suspended, I am talking 5 feet off the bottom. If bottom is showing at 3 feet, then I only have 3 feet to zoom in on, and I only see the fish in the water column on the right side, then switch to normal mode to work them. I know I need to reset each time I switch holes, been there done that. Thanks for the input. Do you have the update? Does it have any negative effects. Thanks to all for your input.

D-man,
When jumping between holes, don't you mean restart the unit with the "norm" selected, then switch back to "AZ"? This is what I've done with my non-updated FL-18, and it seems to work great.

What D-man was saying is that the AZ feature is designed lock on the bottom. A soft bottom give you a false reading as to where the bottom actually is. This false reading happens when the unit attempts to lock on the bottom but can't figure out where the bottom actually is. Thus it reads 2 or 3 ft up, in the AZ mode. The signal is able to penetrate soft bottoms and can be a problem in the AZ mode if you have not updated your unit. I had mine updated last year and have not had a problem since.

There is no reason not to get the update. It works MUCH better with the update. As someone mentioned earlier, you should switch back to "Normal" when you go to a new hole. Everytime the unit is switched to the AZ mode, it locks on the bottom. You will want to give the unit a chance to relock when you move. Scott Steil