• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone from Coleman listening???

Question

Tied two new mantles on my dual fuel Saturday morning on the kitchen table before heading out. Lit them up to pre-burn them (without the gas on). Everything looks good so far - - wait, a dime-sized hole just appeared in one mantle. After a little tantrum, I opened up another pack and tied a new one on (being extremely careful not to damage the ONE good one). Pre-burned this one, and finally, two good mantles. Carefully re-installed the globe and turned the gas on low and lit. Oh look - - a pea-sized hole in a mantle. Later out on the ice while carefully pumping the lantern, one mantle broke halfway off.

Am I doing something wrong??? The instructions on these Green Tops are very vague, and are basically just some generic little pictures. I know I'm not the only one fed up with these pieces of ****. Can't you guys come out with a more durable product?!?! I don't remember ever having these problems with the Gold Tops.

I always got headaches when using the gas coleman in my portable, so I stopped using it. Then I bought the rechargeable coleman, not enough light. This year I'm using a 12 volt trouble light. I like it! Lots of light! The downside is the heavier, 12 volt battery. But I sure like the light, its enough to tie jigs with.

There is an easy way to protect your globes and mantle at the same time. Coleman makes a plastic case for their lanterns which protects them very well. The trick is to get an old stocking hat and put it over the top of the lantern and then slide the top of the case over it. This gives you a hard case with a padded interior to protect the lantern. You can get knit stocking hats at a thrift store for a buck or less. I have 2 lanterns that have thousands of miles on them towed behind a snowmobile over the roughest ungroomed alaskan trails you can imagine. I think that I have only broken 1 or 2 globes in the last 15 years. Another trick is to always transport the lanterns standing upright. By doing this you will increase the life of the mantles (and globes) tenfold over having them on their side. When they are on their side there is a lot more leverage on the mantle with every little bump or jolt. grin.gif

Does anyone know if they make a ceramic type mantle? I remember hearing about these and how durable they were supposed to be: far superior to that of the silk mantles but more $$. I have never seen or tried them.

We had a similar discussion a year ago on the subject of globes.
I did e-mail Coleman regarding the globes and I asked them why they frequently break.
They told me two things:
1. Never use damaged mantles. A small hole can act like a blowtorch and weaken, if not break the glass.
2. Do not tighten the nut on top of your lantern too securely: The globe should be able to move slightly and therefore withstand a light shock.

Coleman did send me a free globe because of the problems.
It sounds like a few of you should also be contacting them!

I have tried their suggestions but have not had much success. I guess this is the price we pay for being in such a hurry combined with trying to stay mobile. For me the lantern is the last thing to be thrown in the sled before I’m off to the next spot.

Kwkfsh, you have obviously logged a few miles. I will have to try your idea.

<;)))))><

Does anyone know how many BTUs a coleman white gas lantern puts out?

I would have to guess at least 1000BTUs???

I have a small clam jr and the lantern does a good job with light and heat but the mantles are pain. I was thinking about one of the small blackcat heaters that are rated at 1200 btus.

i dont really have problems with mantles i fish fri sat sun almost every weekend of the season and one set will hold me over i dont pre burn them and have a plastic case for my propane double mantle if that helps ya

My experience has been that the quick clip mantles break a lot more often then the one you tie. I always preburn my mantles, just personal preference, but I don't even get the flame close to the mantle. Just below it and that is all it takes.

As far as the guys having problem with the flames when you are lighting it..you have the gas turned up to high. Light it on low and keep it there until you get a good burn not flames. Making sure it is pumped up real good will help with this problem also. Scott Steil