• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coleman duel fuel

Fishbitten

Question

I have a coleman dual fuel two mantel lantern that I'm presently running on unlead 87 oct and might as well sit in the dark. Qestion is will white gas or higher octane increase the candle watts or should I consider infra red. Also had a post on main forum about sealing cloth. I may try spray paint if it ruins cloth not much of a loss,or does someone know of a product.
Thanks guys.

5 answers to this question

You should be get bright light with unleaded. Do you have good presure in the tank. Is the generator cleaned and opened using the small lever. When you turn the lever in a complete circle the light should dim and then get bright. If it dosent you may need a new generator.

make sure you have fresh gas. talked to a coleman rep having the same problem mine was only one year old had to put a generator in it and the only difference between the gas and fuel is the fuel is really refined. so i just stick with the regular gas.

I have had beter luck using the white gas. It does not stink as bad and i think it is brighter that unleaded.

On the other hand my lantern is barely ever turned up high as it will spook the fishy that is about to bite your hook.

Even though it's a dual fuel lantern, I would use the Coleman Fuel that's sold in the stores and avoid putting in gasoline from the pumps. I ran premium gas in mine when I first got it. It was very bright when it was new and progressively got dimmer, eventually becoming almost worthless.

I had to replace the generator because gasoline will really gum your lantern up, resulting in a very dim light. When I changed the generator, it was better, but still not like it was when it was new. I've since been running the Coleman Fuel and it's consistantly the same brightness. It's not getting any worse, unlike it seemed to do when I was running premium gasoline in it.

AWH

My pops has been running regular unleaded gas in his colemans for nearly 25 years. I myself use it only out of desperation because of past experiences. The unleaded fuel doesn't burn quite as efficiently,leaving your generator gummed with deposits and providing inadaquate lighting for your fish house. It also doesn't burn quite as bright as the white gas either. My words of advice is to buy the white gas and so you don't have to worry about replacing the generator every other year or so (they're kinda spendy in relation to the unit itself). Better yet, I'm considering switching to rechargeable laterns. No gas, no fumes, no stinky fingers, no mantels or globes to be broken and no waiting time for the lantern to cool.

Stephen