• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crank-up style frames-Interested?

Aqua Eye

Question

Hi Guys!,
Last year I asked the forum users how they would build a crank up style fish house if they were doing it for themselves. Many of you responded and I enjoyed the feedback I received so much that this year I am asking for your opinions once more.
This years project is that of the frame itself. I want to know what you guys and gals think the ULTIMATE steel crank-up fish house frame would be like. Here are a few thoughts of my own from ideas I received last year.
The frame I believe I would want would be competitively priced and have the following features:
GVWR 3500 lbs. so I can haul an ATV or sled, Leaf suspension for long trips, New 14" tires rated for 1760 lbs. per tire to handle the weight, Crank-up wheel system and Crank style hitch with winches welded for security, Fenders to keep the slop from splashing all over the side of the shack, Chains, Propane Rack and Painted to slow down the rust process. Did I forget anything?
Frame styles would be priced according to 12' , 14' and 16' lengths. All for the low, low price of ,...........? You tell me what you would expect to pay for one of these. The frames I have seen priced between $1000 and $1250 have not met all of the criteria I have listed. I look forward to any and all of your opinions on this topic. Thank you-TROY

[This message has been edited by Aqua Eye (edited 12-03-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Aqua Eye (edited 12-04-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Aqua Eye (edited 12-04-2002).]

19 answers to this question

Well I priced out alot of different frames but only got to see a couple but I would say somewhere around $850 is a good place to start. Of course I dont want to pay anymore than i have to but thats what i would what to get for them. We built our own frame and are 3/4 done with the house. We used a pipe inside of a pipe for strength all the way through for the pivot point. No susupension for rite now and 15" tires for alittle more height.

I guess I'd rather see a torsion axles to leaf springs. I think they ride better and take a lot less room on the side, or inside the house. - Also, and this is just a crazy idea, but it would be cool if the house could slide off in the spring, and a regular trailer bed could be bolted on for summer projects. - is that a dumb idea?

d

Ishmel,
That's a great idea! I think on a 14' shack you'd only need 6-8 hardened bolts of the proper size to hold that puppy on...hmmmmmm thinking about next summers project already!

jt24, I'm curious to know if you have any concerns with the pipe in a pipe rusting tight on you? I considered the same for a while and someone told me that could be a problem? We went with a 2" solid round shaft inside of square tubing for the pivot assembly. It still gives you the strength with less contact points for rusting. Curious to hear what others think? Good Luck on the house!!

Yep already thought of that so we installed 4 grease zerks along the tube. After we got it done we could of just used 2 or 3 pieces of pipe on the ends and one in the middle which would of saved some weight. This is kind of a live and learn thing. Dont get me wrong everything is well built but already have a list of things to do different. I will get some pics and send them to rick to post.

I built an 8x10 a few years back and used the pipe in a pipe idea (no suspension). It actually worked pretty well. It was just a typical snowmobile trailer axle cut in 2. It wasn't solid and it didn't seem to be any extra heavy. This is by far the cheapest way to go. All I did was bolt a couple peices of angle iron on the sides of the 2x4 frame and then welded a pipe to the bottom. The fish house didn't travel well enough to run the highways, but it sure got to the lake and around the lake great! If you plan on hauling it any distance, you probably want to think about suspension, or a smaller shack..

Hanger

I will have to get the measurement of the pipes we used. Shaft would add alot of weight and a tube is harder to bend. We did not add suspension as of yet but we spent a great deal of time getting the axles at the rite angle and straight to travel down the road.

For my situation (converted 14' camper) we decided to use a solid 2" round shaft (old combine driveshaft, 13.5' long, cut down to 9.5' for $10) and cut holes in the metal framework of the camper and slid the shaft through and welded in to the framework. For the pivot points we used short lengths of square tubing over the round shaft. I know the 2" solid shaft may be a little over kill but I live about 200 feet from a lake access and I can't begin to tell you how many houses I've seen drug off with the wheels folded in, axels broke off etc. No suspension but I don't travel far with it. Good Luck.

i was thinking of going with a 2 inch hollow pipe with one larger to go around it, and put greese zerts in it to stop any rusting, would that be big enough so that it wouldnt bend for a 7 by 12 trailer? i plan on traveling aways, but usually under 20 miles, but if the fish are biting at mille lacs or something, i might want to go up for a few days. what does everyone think? Thanks

i was also wondering how high everyone's trailer sits up off the ground, right now, mine only sits bout 12 inches and i dont want to bottom out going over high ridges or steep landings. any suggestions for getting it up higher? Also what is everyone using for supensions? and how do they weld or bolt on to the arms? Thanks Brent

If you are using leaf springs just slide the spring inside the tube that your axle is welded to and cut alittle slot on top so the end of the spring comes out and put a bolt through it. We are using bigger 15" tires to get more clearance. Used a 2" and 2 1/2" tubes for pivot points. Should be plenty strong and also just used one winch. With both wheels welded to the pipe its pretty much a waist of a wench and almost impossible for one guy to lower it so we used pulleys to run the cable to the other side. I just have to remember to take some pics when we get it done. Just have the door and aluminum sheeting to put on the sides and roof and dang near ready to see the ice!!!

Ishmel- I got to see one of your little fishing buddies (Rachel) last night at Walmart. Tammy and I agree that she is absolutely adorable and that she must take after her mother. wink.gif What a vocabulary already! You will have your hands full with her.You should have seen her lite up when we mentioned you taking her fishing. It was really funny.
About those frames I'm not sure yet what I can say except that I like your idea from a "consumer" standpoint but I dislike the idea from a manufacturing standpoint. If you were to buy a frame and build the house the way you want by modifying the frame a little to meet your needs-GREAT! But could you imagine what would happen if someone "forgot" to secure their shelter to the frame "ONE" time and then decided it wasn't their fault but the welders?! I know you would be smarter than that but the idea of something like that happening is what keeps people awake at night.
We are getting closer with the crankup frames idea though. Thanks for asking, I hope you are serious about building another shack. Enjoy the holidays and keep me in mind next time you want to hit some ice. Maybe we could get the wives convinced on an Upper Red or similar outing?! How about Devils lake? Think about it-TROY

I heard about your shopping experience, and you're right, I do have my hands full. She can't wait to go fishing, but she was a little confused when I tried to explain how we'll eat them :-0 I suppose she's a little young for that.

I am serious about building another one one of these days, I suppose when I'm done working on the one I have, it'll be time to start building a new one.

I see your point about the liability issue regarding the bolt-on trailer bed. I guess I never looked at it that way before. I'm a little naive, but if I sued someone everytime I did something stupid I'd be in court year round!

I'd love to try to make a weekend trip this winter if I can get away, it's tough with the infant though, I might have to settle for day trips this year. I've got a little hot spot north of here if you'd like to take the portables some afternoon and ice some eyes.

Have a merry christmas, and wish the family the same!

d

[This message has been edited by Ishmel (edited 12-19-2002).]

Ishmel-We could always take my 14' portable when the ice is safe enough. Or have the fish been biting so good that you don't have time to play cards? We can do the 5x8 and sled thing if that's what you mean. I don't know if you saw the post but my family plus a couple of recently orphaned nephews will be on Upper Hay on Saturday for the FM gathering. Hope to connect with some folks and have some laughs with Tammy and the kids. What are you doing this weekend? Merry X-mas if I don't talk at you before then. TROY

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Aqua Eye has done some shopping around. He checked out every trailer frame he could find and the pricing as well. He also checked out every retractable wheel fish house he could find.

He wanted the best you could get for the money and I am firmly in his corner there.

We have the following Retractable Wheel Trailers available to order:

FISHING MINNESOTA RETRACTABLE FRAMES

Limited Time
Size Introductory Price ($100 off)

6'6" x 12' 3500 GVWR $1100
6'6" x 14' 3500 GVWR $1175
6'6" x 16' 3500 GVWR $1250
(all frames are at maximum legal width)

The following features are standard on all Fishing Minnesota Retractable Frames

3"x3" square tubed drop tongue system (Standard, not a $75-$100 option like the others) - no need to unhook vehicle from fish house while hammering Red Lake slabs, or Devil¹s Lake perch.

Retractable wheel system with leaf suspension, "new" tires, rims and spindles rated to carry up to 3,500 pounds. Now it¹s possible to load all your gear and an ATV.

Heavy duty steel fenders (Note inside upper half is covered, unlike other models).

Heavy duty winches and cables.

2"x3" rectangular tubed frame with cross braces every 24 inches for long
term structural support (NOT weaker angle iron).

Safety chains, 2" coupler and propane rack included.

All frames primed and painted for long lasting durability.

OPTIONS:

Tongue jack installed $ 45.00
Spare 14² tire and rim (rated for 1,760 pounds) $ 75.00

To order or arrange to see them call:
Toll Free: 1-866-523-0980

Photos will be included shortly.
You can see them at the Medford Cabinet Shop
3 miles North of the Owatonna Cabelas.
1st Exit North Of Cabelas
1st Place on the right as you head east off Interstate I35.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Please note the Limited Time Introductory Pricing.

We do this with most new FishingMinnesota.com items to get them in the hands of Leading Edge Fishermen quickly.

Here are pictures:

Drop Down Hitch
fmHitch.jpg

FM Retractable Wheel Fish House Trailer
fmTrailer1.jpg

FM Retractable Wheel Fish House Trailer - Lowered
fmtrailerdown.jpg

For More Info Call
Toll Free: 1-866-523-0980