Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kiowa

Windlass vs polar therm tip ups

6 posts in this topic

Looking to take my tip up action to the next level, or truthfully, any level higher than what I am experiencing now...

Ease of use/set up time, general performance, any input would be helpful.

I have a windlass tipup that I have never used - I worry about the s[PoorWordUsage] freezing up since it is above the ice.

As for thermal tip-ups, I actually prefer the black foam covers used in conjunction with my normal tip-ups. Fleet Farm & GAnder normally carry them - they are about 1"+ thick with a hole in the middle for your tip-up shaft to go through, and have a slit between the hole and the outside edge. I like them because they do a better job forming a seal to the ice hole, very compact, and can use a better quality tipup then those that come with the thermal ones. Also, being black, I think it draws more heat from the sun so aides in preventing your hole from freezing up.

I am with NCLaker, I like the regular tip-ups with foam covers.

Instead of those black foam covers at the sports stores, I use old carpet padding or chunks of carpet. Just cut them in a circle, put a slit from one egde into the middle, and boom!!! you got yourself a cheap hole insulator. They roll/fold up nice for hauling in the bucket as well.

If the temps are above 18-20 degrees and there is atleast a slight breeze i like to use the HT Windlass Tip Ups with the black foam hole covers. If the temps are below 18-20 and/or there isnt much of a breeze then i like to use the Frabill Polar Tip Ups with the black foam hole cover.

Whenever you are using tip ups, make sure you make a bank of snow around the hole to help prevent the wind from contacting your open hole; it prevents it from freezing quicker.

thanks for the input. Someone mentioned the "hook-set tip-up" a while back, might try one of those.