• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Short Eared Owls & Northern Harrier

These are migratory and show up around here in November through April. They're a fun bird to shoot, I love the way their eyes look. They're not nocturnal so we can see them in the day, they're also fairly territorial which can make for some great aerial dogfights between other owls and hawks that are in the area - one day I'll get some decent shots of that! Unfortunately Nov-April is a very dark, gray time of year so opportunities to shoot when the light is good and work allows don't come around that often. Here are some shots I got of them this past April

DSC_2724.jpg

DSC_2734.jpg

DSC_2732.jpg

DSC_2746.jpg

This shot didn't turn out very well, but it shows a Northern Harrier and owl both going for the same rodent. The Harriers seem to spend more time trying to steal food from the owls than hunting for themselves.

DSC_3136.jpg

DSC_2791.JPG

DSC_2798.JPG

So is my son--born and raised in MN, currently in exile in WA and dreaming of coming home to MN that is. But I do love to visit!!! Good job on the owls and hawks. I especially love 2 & 3. Those piercing yellow eyes coming right to the camera, and his funny little flat profile are both fun pics.