• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Advice on a good mountain bike

I know jack about mountain bikes... However, I have been shopping for one. I was thinking about spending $300-$500. Should I buy used or new? What do I need to look out for? I plan on riding gravel roads and ste park trails. Any sugestions?

I would look around around for used first, as you can find some wicked deals. You can get nice brand name bikes if you hunt a little. My best find was a four year old cannondale for $200, and I would rahter ride an old one of those than a brand new schwin anyway. the component quality is much higher and the ride smoother. that is the cadillac of mountain bikes. It SAILS!!!!

Even if you have to take it in for a tune up you will be so much happier, don't get me wrong there are quality bikes for less money but you will notice the difference.

If you don't happen upon anything like that I would recommend something like a giant, raleigh, or a good old trek will never let you down.

everything is fixable for reasonable money even if you need new de-railers(shifting components) it's not bad, just get to know your mechanics until you get the hang of it.

IF you have more questions just ask.

A couple things that will help you save money and get more bike for the money you are going to spend is to buy online and if you can wait till the end of the summer, that's even better. When you buy bikes online they show up in a box and you put it together, saving you the assembly mark up at your local dealer. Check out some bikes, find what you like and then shop online. If you can wait till the end of the summer, you will find some incredible deals on demos, rentals and floor models. It's not unheard of to get $1000 bikes for $500-$600 come fall.

Trek, Giant, Raleigh, Cannondale are all great bikes. I have personally owned Trek and Raleigh and like them both for different reasons. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.