• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stillwateraron I got a Buffalo ?

So I found some water holding some nice Buffs now whats the right way to go after em' Crawler on bottom or corn or? Thanks

depends on if they are big mouth or small mouth buffs.

smallmouth buffs have regular sucker mouths, and they feed on the bottom, so you must fish on the bottom. crawlers would be the best bet IMO

a bigmouth buff's mouth is at the front of its head, rather than on the bottom. Because of this, bottom fishing tactics wont be nearly as effective. though you can use a bottom fishing rig, just use a floating jighead to float the bait of the bottom. float fishing also works. crawlers are your best choice for the bigmouths too IMO

i have never caught a buff yet. but i have done my research wink

So I found some water holding some nice Buffs now whats the right way to go after em' Crawler on bottom or corn or? Thanks

Smallmouths are easier to catch than bigmouths. Most of my smallmouths have been bottom rig on the bottom. Also earlier in the spring they will take a jig and minnow.

Bigmouths are another story! In clear water they are very skittish. I was trhowing a small chunk of crawler to them the other day and scaring them. I was unable to get bites with 8 pound test but a few weeks ago with ultralight I had 2 on and lost them both with 6 pound flouro. A small pink and white jig is a good place to start. Something like a ratso. I think they turn to filter feeding the summer and make them more difficult to catch. It will take time but watch how they react to your bait and they will let you know when you have it right.

My grampa has been catching a ton of sm buffalo. At least one every outing, and he goes about every other day. He fishes mostly pool 2 as he has no car. He say's that he has been catching most of them on corn and obviously off the bottom. Hope that helps..