• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gull Lake fishing

Never been to Gull but will be there in mid/late July for family vacation. It has been many years since I've made the trip to your great fishing state but have a couple questions for you natives.

Do the pike hit top water in the summer very well? I have read a couple comments leading me to believe the majority of the Northerns will be off the deep edge of the weed beds. I'm sure we can get some action from the LMB but honestly I haven't used topwater baits for N's since Iowa is limited on them. Also, where might I purchase a good lake map of Gull on line?

Thanks for your comments!

James

The Lakemaster map is the best map I have found of the lake. But check out the DNR lake finder, they have a older free map and some great survey data on the lake.

Also, you may find a pike or two shallow in the evenings and catch them on a buzz bait or other top water, but you are right I would be fishing deeper weed edges.

Thanks for the response, Chode, I have the DNR map printed off to take along and plan a couple stratigies to begin with. I'll be joining a local friend so I'm sure he will have good insght to some hotter areas. That particular map differed slightly from one of another friend who has a paid membership to an online map service, and showed a little more detail. Gull appears to have some vantastic opportuinties if structure will dictate success.

I recently ordered some large jigs and trailers to use in the deep weedline areas for the pike and have some bigger spinnerbaits to try as well. I am having trouble finding the bigger Husky Jerk plugs here as they have been picked over pretty good but have one gold colored to try if I don't get any more.

What is the water clarity of Gull? Also if pulling a live bait rig for walleyes how long of a snell would anyone recommend?

Thanks for any information anyone wants to give, I know how valuable it is!

James

I use right around 3-4 ft of flouro leader. The weed line will be at about 16 feet. They say clarity is "excellent", but I've friends up who fish Hayward WI area who lift their eyebrows at that. Gull (we're talking about Brainerd area Gull right?) is loaded with structure. Sometimes enough to make your mind numb.

I'd suggest going to one of the big weed flats like the north side of squaw point or grassy point, depending where you are. First try trolling bucktails or musky sized spinner baits in around ten feet jerking through the weeds. You might be suprised at some of the bass you can pick up with those baits too. Yellow is a good color out there. Red too. I know conventional wisdom says the big girls will be out deeper, but I've found them there later in the season. If that doesn't work then try deep.

You should be able to get bigger Husky J3rks up there. I like silver and black or perch.

I'd take Chode's advice on the map.

We'll be fishing in 7 days, can't wait! I picked up the Lakemaster Map locally last weekend, WOW what a lake! I see what you mean by mind numbing. I can see why this lake was so popular at the birth of electronics, once the bottom was understood there were many places fish would stack up.

Thanks for the map suggestion and the tips!

James