• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deep cycle batteries?

manmountain

Question

Hi, I need a battery for my MK Endura 40. I need to keep it under $100 and I will be using it as my only means of propulsion, besides oars, so I need as many amp hours as possible. I have shopped around and found a true deep cycle at Fleet Farm with 90 AH for $81, a dual purpose at sams club with 115 AH for $68, and a true deep cycle with 105 AH at Batteries Plus for $94. I know many people recommend a true deep cycle, but is it worth more money for less AH compared to the dual purpose? Something about a thicker plate vs a thin plate with some kind of sponge? IDK. I assume the true deep cycles last longer? Also, Do you have to use a charger with a special deep cycle setting? Thanks...

4 answers to this question

I found some info on the subject and for any one else interested this is what I learned. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. First of all most so called true deep cycle batteries are not really true deep cycle. Even though they are not dual purpose they can still crank. The main difference is in the thickness of the plates. What it boils down to is deep cycles with a thicker plate can better withstand being run down to zero than a dual purpose with a thinner plate. Thinner plates and seperators are more fragile and can shed active material if deeply discharged, lowering the life expectancy of the battery. Running any battery down to zero is not good for it though. Based on this information I am going to buy the dual purpose 115 AH for $68 from Sam's Club, and be careful not to fully discharge it.

I think you are correct - very few true deep cycle only. But if you charge them soon after discharge, maintain them during offseason, keep them filled with distilled water, you should be good for several years.

The Stowaways I last had were dual purpose. They lasted 8 years using them as deep cycle trolling batteries.

I think there are three keys to long battery life.

1. Don't drain the batteries to nearly dead. This is very hard on a battery even if it is a "deep cycle".

2. Recharge as soon as possible. This means as soon as you get to where you can do it, not waiting until just before the next time you want to fish.

3. Check/maintain the battery water level if you can (some are sealed).

I buy the ones from wal mart they are only 55 0r 60 dollars. And they have a 18 month warranty. I've exchanged two of them with out a problem. Because i left them sit for too long with out charging. One battery will run my forced air furnace in my fish house for 24 hours or more.