• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Totaly fly n00b question..

itchmesir

ok.. so long story short.. bought me a shakespeare fly rod combo kit.. lol oh yea.. got the leader tied to my backing... next.. do i need to buy tippet to attactch to the leader? or can i just use 2lb mono?

well most leaders already have a tippet on them... look to see if the leader is the same diameter for about 17 to 24 inches on the side you tie your fly to if it is that is your tippet. After making a fly changes your tippet will get smaller so then you will have to add more... for the tippet i usually just use 4 or 6 pound mono it is basically the same in my opinion. Hope this helps

well most leaders already have a tippet on them... look to see if the leader is the same diameter for about 17 to 24 inches on the side you tie your fly to if it is that is your tippet. After making a fly changes your tippet will get smaller so then you will have to add more... for the tippet i usually just use 4 or 6 pound mono it is basically the same in my opinion. Hope this helps

ah ok.. thank you.... so you usually just tie 4-6lb mono straight to your backing?

yes my leader does taper.. but from what i was reading i can add additional tippet to the leader? or i can just tie additional mono to my leader? so not to have to change my leader as often from breaks and fly changes.. how much additional line should i typically use when tying on?

Right when my tippet gets short I usually add another 2 feet or so to the leader that way I dont have to buy a leader every time I go out.

As for spooling your fly reel put the line on in this order...

backing then attach the fly line using a nail knot (is what I use some people use another knot there are good youtube videos for this)

then attach your leader to your fly line using another nail knot if there is no leader loop (this is a small loop on the end of the fly line so that it is easier to change leader) or you can buy some shrink wrap things at the store which also work.... (what i do is make my own leader loop using 20 - 30 lb mono)

finally you add your tippet

hopefully this clears things up a bit if not try posting it in the fly fishing forum and maybe one of them can explain it alitte better....