• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HELP WITH YELLOW LAB!!!

hunter322

I just adopted a 10 month yellow lab 2 weeks ago. He is a great dog when your around. He listens, he sits he plays all the stuff a good dog should. But when were gone is the problem. He has figured out how to get out of 2 different types of kennels and figured out how to open the front door and he tears the house to shreds. Does anyone know how to work with this type of seperation anxiety?

In the short term, the Foster and Smith catalog sells calming pills that are all herbal that work very well. As far as a long term thing, if I were you I would get one of those problem trainers to come in. There is a guy up by you,(if I remember right) and I think his name is Daryl something and he deals with problem dogs and he has a very good reputation, I see him advertising in the paper sometimes.

A friend had a yellow lab with separation anxiety and they have a lifetime of ripped screen doors, chewed wood work, etc to show for that problem because they never did anything about it.

I wouldn't fall victom to the belief of this being some type of separation anxiety. This is not a job for a shrink or pills, we are talking about a puppy here. This is what puppies do. Get a better Kennel, a bigger one if yours is small. Put a couple chews in there, The cow feet at mills last a while but smell a bit. They all are going to chew up stuff and run rampid if let out unattended.

Id say its just a puppy problem also. Puppies just like children have to learn the wrong way. Unless your pup is lucked up in a gage while ur gone its gunna happen to every one but with some disipline and time it gets better. It happened to me, i thought my labs were to the point that they could be trusted alone in the house but then i come home to a big hole in my carpet and my couch destryed. But since then a few more problems but has gotten better and their about 1.5 yrs old. Ive heard that at about 2 yrs old they are done with the puppie stage and will start to behave.

I have seen a dog get out the the platic travel kennel. Our old Springer did it a couple of times until we took out the bolts and plastic nuts and replace them with new nuts and bolts. We also had to redo the door. She had a lot of seperation anxiety as she got older.

my male yellow lab would push on the door and fold both the

top and bottom tabs. in the outdoor kennel he has ripped the

chain link from the poles. so many times that i just leave him out, now he stays on the deck all day waiting for me to get home.

Well make sure you get a heavy duty one, yes they make plastic ones that are junk too and the tabs on the door can fold up like a duck, but if you get the heavy stainless door and heavy plastic you should not have trouble after awhile. If a dog gets out of a kennel that is subpar they will try all the time for the fun and freedom, I can do this attitude. But once they realize there efforts are futile they will start to settel down.Even the steel crates are OK.