• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"Northern Hawk Owl"

jonny_redhorse

Lol! grin......Im getting kinda close to "owl burn out" grin.....I met a carload of 4 guys at the sight of this owl and they were simply ecstatic!....they arrived by plane in Duluth this morning and were up from Oklahoma.....they traveled 800+ miles to see the bog!....here we see these sights every weekend!....they were envious to say the least!....the bog certainly is a special place!...

Nice pic Johnny. I'm glad that you had the encounter with the ecstatic Oklahoma guys. I felt the same when I was there - sheer amazement! There's nothing like seeing something fresh from others eyes to appreciate what a gift you have.

I think you guys who pamper the bog critters deserve a lot of gratitude for your sensitive care of the envirnment and especially the birds and other critters. After reading a previous post debating the destruction of the trees at the feeding stations for the benefit of photographers, I made a point of taking notice and found it hard to see what all of the fuss was about without looking really closely. I found that it was hard to tell the difference between those "photographer cropped" trees and the many other trees in the bog whose branches have been broken through weathering and seasoning over the years.

Regardless, it is clear that the feeding stations have brought in alot of birds and is making their winter survival a bit easier

and the efforts of you guys who keep the feeders full allow the rest of us to enjoy a view we wouldn't otherwise get to see so readily. As a Minnesota native who has finally taken her first trip to the bog, I'd say you have a treasure there. I really appreciate all you do to share it with the rest of us.

Denise

Such a nice comment Denise!....thank you!...It's all about that "special connection" that I was given as a young child in the appreciation of the specialness and beauty of our great natural environment......What better way then to take a drive each weekend with the idea that one just may see those "special" birds(and critters also!)...to stand amongst them while they are by your feet just inches away is just so amazing!...sometimes no one else is around...just you,the boreal forest and silence and those varies species of birds quietly feeding...sometimes emitting their little chirps and squeals...a few sacks of bird seed is certainly worth the return in the joy they bring us!.....plus....they get the calories they need in those frigid months....at least may help them to a degree...and share that feeling with so many others out there...