• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice fishing newbie - please help!

mainbutter

So I'm going ice fishing the coming holiday for the first time ever, and I'd be so happy to at least catch one fish.

I'll be fishing on a small lake a little ways northwest of duluth, it's not very big and maybe only gets to be 35 feet at the deepest.

I got a jigging rod/reel and a tip up for x-mas. Other than that I don't really have any ice fishing specific equipment. I'll be going to Gander Mtn. tomorrow to pick up some jigs and hooks etc.

A few Qs:

1) what should I get for a common/popular sunfish or crappie jig or lure?

2) Should I tip the jigs with some kind of bait?

3) where should I be fishing on the lake? deep water I assume at this time of year?

4) Time of day.. Day fishing, night fishing?? is it all good?

5) I know this isn't the right forum, but there are some small(<24 inch) northerns, any tips on fishing for them at the same time?

Any other advice is also great

Thanks a ton!

If you know the name of the lake i would first check the dnr site and see if there are any recent surveys of fish populations and species. Northland has some real nice jigging spoons and jigs for crappies and any pan fish really, along with JB lures.

Wax worms or crappie minnows work for most situations, along with a jigging spoon with a minnow head.

If you can find the lake on the dnr HSOforum, print a map and look at the contours, look for the drop offs and follow those until you find them, crappies like to move around in the water column as well, so don't be surprised to find them in 15 feet when you are sitting in 30. If you have the time start in the morning, so you have time to move if you need to.

Will you be going by yourself?

Well let's start with your questions...

1) These jigs from the Pro Store should cover your needs. I really like the Flutter jigs as well as the Sunfish kit. Panfish Jigs

2)Pick up some eurolarve and plastics. You'l find a good list of plastics here, Which Plastics to Get. Crappie minnows can be the ticket too at times suspended below a small float.

3)Location, location, location... Checkout the MN DNR lakefinder site and get a map of the lake you're fishing. There will likely be two distinct patterns. Shallow weed related panfish or those suspending over the deep hole in the lake. You'll find the pike in both areas looking for an easy meal.

4) Fish will eat when they are hungry. Although typically there are peaks around sunrise or sunset. Every lake is different. Lake night can be awsome for crappies or walleyes.

5) A sucker minnow on a bobber rig or tip up suspended 2-8 feet off the bottom will get you some action.

Pick up a spring bobber for you jigging rod. It will speed up your learning curve. Some spring bobber are prone to freezing up in colder temps so consider that.

For fishing line look for 3-4 lb test mono or flouro line for panfish. Pastic coated tip up line with a thin wire leader and a 1/0 hook and a 1/4 oz splitshot will work well for pike on your tip up.

Since it doesn't sounds like you have a flasher to use, start 2 ft off bottom and work you way up in the water column until you find fish ir run out of water. If you catch nothing in 15 minutes move. Repeat until you catch fish or run out of time.

Good Luck!