• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MinnKota PD 70 problem????

JIGGIN'

Power Drive 70- VS2 new last season and worked awesome! Take her out today and get started chasing crappies when all of a sudden, steering control would sometimes turn, sometimes not. Moved very slowly. Prop moved fine, just the drive control was showing issues. Seemed like the foot pedal is the problem. I can only hope as that is the cheapest part to fix/replace. Stored in garage all winter and stayed dry. I don't think it is a problem of neglect/abuse. Don't know why it is happening? Anyone with ideas/similar experiences? At least the warranty is still good.

Batteries are really good. Full charge- sat on float mode all winter. I have heard of foot pedal problems with this particular MinnKota. I think it is the foot pedal. ANyone with a similar experience?

I had that problem on an older PD 50 (1999) when it was brand new. That would only turn one way and once in a while it'd finally turn the other way. New foot pedal and it was good to go again.

Check the contacts in the plug too. Unplug and plug a few times to work some of the contacts. Maybe some oxidation built up over the winter inside the plug. Just a shot to try.

Originally Posted By: JIGGIN'
Batteries are really good. Full charge- sat on float mode all winter.

You need to have them load tested to be sure --- take them to a NAPA or Batteries Plus or other auto parts store for testing. Just because they sat on a charger or give you 12+ volts doens't mean they can handle a load. What you described ..... all of a sudden it wouldn't work .... is the symptom of a bad battery.

Do you know anyone with a motor that uses the same foot pedal so you can try another pedal on your motor?

The plug on the V2 units are IP68 rated so I doubt it is corrosion like mentioned above. PerchJerker is on the right track, try borrowing a pedal from a buddy to see how the motor reacts. Better yet, take it in to an ASC.

Well, I took my pedal to Jack Kordiak at Actions Fish Electronics and he set me UP! New foot pedal, as that was the problem as I presumed. At least I didn't have to remove my entire motor from the bow as was suggested by a couple other twin cities repair shops. Everything works fine and I am ready for opener. I guess the PD pedals have some serious issues for whatever reason. Some guys are going through a couple a season....?