• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another ground temp update - 4/30

LwnmwnMan2

Well, first of May tomorrow. I feel bad for the farmers and guys that started gardening outside.

This morning, 8 am, checking ground temps around the Chisago area......

Ready??

39 degrees.

Everywhere I went, whether along buildings, in the middle of turf areas, along curbs, wherever, 39 degrees.

I figured it would be cooler, but not this cool.

Anyways, if you can today or early tomorrow, before this rain hits, get out there with your preventer, if you haven't done so already.

This 2-3 days of off and on rain is going to be ideal to get the chemical barrier spread out and keep the crabgrass from germinating.

You have to realize there's a risk you could get some crabgrass come first part of June, because the chemical COULD be broken down, so if you would like to wait, especially if you have an irrigation system, that's fine too.

Remember though, I'm north a little ways and we had 2-3" of snow on Saturday morning in this area. The less you had last weekend, the quicker I'd get the pre-em down, for you guys up north.... probably wait another day or two, generally speaking of course.

Good Deal. I think I may have hit it just right this year. Monday I "Rolled" my yard. It worked great! Nice and smooth. Last night I got the crab grass preventer down. I went with Scotts, not sure if this was the best idea but what the heck it was the first one I saw on the shelf. Now I have a few area I need to Fix from the dog. I figure I won't want to do that now until June some time.

Scott's is a good product, don't get me wrong.

I just get upset when they're running ads for materials that aren't going to do the job they're supposed to do.

There's too many people that won't read a label, put it down at the wrong time, and end up doing no good, other than pretty much just polluting the environment.

Technically you can put it down anytime.

Crabgrass seeds won't start to germinate until the ground around them is 55 degrees for 3 days in a row, and the best time to check is sunrise, as ground will be warmer during the day, but then cool back down at night.

As a homeowner, you'll want to wait as long as possible, since you probably don't want to have to re-apply later in the season.

There are products that are able to control crabgrass that's already emerged, but they can be quite spendy.

On the yards I treated this week, there are sporadic clumps of crabgrass that have emerged, depending on the situation.

A homeowner can watch the general guidelines, whether "when the lilacs start to bloom", me posting soil temps for the yards that I personally take care of, or when you see or hear ads on TV / radio.

However, to get the best result for your own personal yard, the next time you're at Wal-Mart, pick up a meat thermometer. This way you can check your own soil temperatures.

meatthermometer.jpg

Here's what one looks like in case you're not sure what you're looking for.

This way you can wait as long as possible before you start putting it down.

Personally I like to wait until 52 degrees before I start applying it, but with this weather we're having (rain/snow mix in the forecast for my area for Friday night) it's getting very tough for me to be able to wait much longer.

I personally am taking the risk that I'll have control throughout the season, and do some small touch up if needed come the first part of June.

Ok, there's been talk above about putting it down now or a few days ago - that and the current soil temp was a disconnect with me. I'll wait another week, I guess.

Do you do it? I have 2.4 acres right by you, with a house & 3+ car garage. The back 3/4th acre would not be done. About how much?

Thanks...

I do not treat residential lawns, it's not my niche.

I'm strictly commercial properties.

Also, I was just down at Lesco in WBL this afternoon and the ground temp there this morning was 43 degrees.

If you have the opportunity to wait, and you haven't applied yet, then yes, you might as well keep waiting.

I'm sure alot of people (myself included) want to get the fertilizers down just to help with greening of the property, let alone crabgrass control.

This is going to get old real real fast real real soon.

I was talking with a guy in NW IA yesterday and he said the same thing, holding pattern. That just means that much longer of a wait for us.

Right now it's looking like 3 weeks behind schedule as far as things growing. Oak trees don't even hardly have buds on them. They don't have any, unless I put my glasses on. \:D