• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Resoration Questions... *UPDATED 6/3/08

Rebel9921

Rebel I am no expert but is it OK to apply epoxy resin over polyester resin? Seems to me that I have heard that it can weaken the old/cured polyester resin. Otherwise wow what a project! one last thing If you utilize closed cell foam then water won't saturate it so perhaps leaving the ability for the "tunnel" to drain would be a good idea. I would not want water to get trapped in there. I am sure that you have already considered this but felt I would mention it anyhow. I have some experiance with fiberglass work and boat building but the real expert is Steve Bakken.

From what I could find out on various forums online... it is okay to apply epoxy resin onto polyester resin... its NO NO for applying polyester resin onto epoxy... Its cheaper to use new polyester resin but if you really want overall strength and durability... epoxy resin' the way to go...

Good point about letting the tunnel drain... but my point is... why bother allowing access for water to saturate the foam and add more weight to the boat... after all its approx 8lbs per gallon... I also have found out that polyester fiberglass absorbs water too... and that cant be good for the fiberglass itself...

Im still waiting for Steve to chime in with his thoughts/advises...

Dang Rebel! That is alot of work. Now I can see what my hull looks like inside. I have a feeling my boat has alot more rot than what I found in the transom after seeing yours. Good job, you have a lot more ambition than me!

Brent... Yeah whole lot work... a complete renovation process...

Anyways... here are new pictures from today...

Two pictures of me cutting a sheet of 3/4 plywood that will be used for structures such as transom wall, stringers, kneebraces, and crossbraces...

MuskyTracker029.jpg

MuskyTracker030.jpg

More pictures of the hull after doing plenty of grinding/sanding... cut off those poor so-called crossbraces... will be installing 5 sets of laminated plywood for crossbraces, leaving the bilge open for hoses and draining... floor edges has been mostly cut off and ground off but still need to do more fine grinding...

MuskyTracker031.jpg

MuskyTracker032.jpg

MuskyTracker034.jpg

Closer view of the transom area... more wood and fiberglass ground off...

MuskyTracker035.jpg

MuskyTracker036.jpg

MuskyTracker037.jpg

You can see the black line on the transom wall... the new transom will be longer than the old one... The boat originally came with two kneebraces that was connected to the inner wall of the stringers... I wanted to add 2 more kneebraces for added strength... and the only way I could line up the outer stringer wall to the transom was to lengthen the transom wall a bit...

MuskyTracker038.jpg

MuskyTracker039.jpg

I'll be doing more plywood cutting tomorrow or so... need to fabricate the kneebraces for the inner stringer... then I'll do a complete mockup of the whole thing and take some more pictures... Enjoy!!!

Now... Here are the updated pictures... I cut out the inner kneebraces today... and did a mock-up as promised... I also ordered a CMC Manual Jackplate (5 1/2 inch setback)...

MuskyTracker44.jpg

MuskyTracker45.jpg

MuskyTracker46.jpg

MuskyTracker47.jpg

MuskyTracker48.jpg

MuskyTracker49.jpg

MuskyTracker50.jpg

Macho... oh yeah... am super-busy with this boat... dont even have time to cause trouble!!!

Itchy now, beautiful n sweet when done... so... itchy part is well worth it!!!

Now next step is to laminate the kneebraces and the transom... after that I will need to do some final cutting/sanding to get it to fit completely then it'll be attached to the hull...

I need to cut out more plywood for the crossbraces and stringers... Im still deliberating whether I should laminate 2 3/4 plywood for the crossbraces or just go with one 3/4... I know that the fiberglass will add lot of strength and with just one, i wont be adding on any unneccessary weight...

Update: The new CMC Manual Jackplate (5 1/2 inch setback)arrived safely today... still waiting on the carpet samples from Basscat...

The jackplate definitely looks SOLID... Aluminum and Stainless construction... sweet... cant wait to mount that on the boat...

WOW!!!!!!!! Rebel i have to give you props, i didnt think you were ever even going to start, lol proved me wrong. I hate to temp you with fishin seein as you probably don't have time, but if me and my dad are fishin somewhere not up north ill give you a buzz. I got a 38, 43, and 47 last weekend, got dad 4-0 so far this year on the muskies. Good luck with your repairs.

Well actually I started the process last year... but got sidetracked with fishing and other things too...

Now with me promising myself not to fish AT ALL til I finish the boat, I got whole lot more done... although the promise is getting harder and harder to keep... I might will take you up on your offer one of those days and just get it out of the system... then things will be easier to focus on...

You got my number so text me anytime... Yeah I saw the pics... excellent Muskies... made me drool BIG TIME... also just the usual story, you kickin' your dad's butt all over...