• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leaky Boat

Jenkins Jigger

I have a 17ft lund that is about 15yrs old. I've notice that I'm taking on water. I'm thinking it could be coming from loose rivets. Not sure though. Does anyone know who could fix this or check all the rivets to make sure they are not leaking?

Thanks

Jigger

You can fill the boat with water up to where the normal water line is and look for where the water is leaking from. Just be sure to support the trailer with blocks as this is a lot of weight that was never designed to be put on the suspension.

While you've got it full of water, CAREFULLY lower the bow a bit. There is a gasket at the bow of the boat between the keel and the seam where the two sidewalls joing together which is known for drying and cracking. Now watch at the rear of the boat where the keel ends. If water is running out of it, then it's your gasket. Also do a search on this forum for leaks. There are a bunch of threads that cover some of the repair options.

I had a boat with a leak that I wasn't able to find until I redid the floor and put it in the water with the floor out (I even did the fill the boat up with water thing...think the foam must have kept the leak from working in reverse). I ended up having a rivet that the center/stem fell out of (had been repaired previously I guess). If I were you, I would do a visual on the rivets and look closely for discoloration or a missing rivet or stem. Make sure to check the underwater intakes that you might have in your plumbing or the lines attached to these as well.