• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's a good training video?

Fish&Fowl

I am looking for a good video for training a Lab that will mainly be duck and goose hunting with me. I am getting the dog at 1 year old from my aunt and uncle, who have had the dog at the trainer's (who also did the breeding) its whole life.

The dog has all the basics covered (sit, stay, heel). I myself will be a first-timer, so plan on seeing me on this section of the forums a lot more in the days to come! Thanks.

Fowl Dawgs 1 with Rick Stawski is a good start. It covers obedience, hold, force fetch, and collar conditioning. He explains things pretty well and it's a good value for the price. That's the only one I own but there are 2 more movies in that series.

I haven't seen them myself but I've heard good things about the Smartworks series.

I like the "Water Dog" video. It is based on Richard Wolter's book and hosted by Charles Jurney. It is a nice overview, but like all training, you will have to taylor what you learn to your specific dog's learning style. I found it at my local library, so that might be an option for you too.

There are some good videos out there like the ones named above. You can also got to YouTube.com and find some decent short training sessions. Some are good, others "not so much", but are free. Maybe I'm old fashion, but I still like the books better. But videos do show you the finished product but some can lack the detail needed.

Chad

I have read Bill Tarrant's "Hey Pup, Fetch it Up" and just starting D.L. Walter's "Training Retrievers to Handle." Both are very good books and I read them continually. I just want to have some visual aids to watch along with the books. I'm also planning to spend a few hours with the trainer when I go pick the dog up in a couple weeks.