• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Ticks are out

JConrad

I took a deer tick off my Griffon today... Have seen them on other dogs the past few days that we are running at Pine shadows in Brainerd.

They were really bad last fall... With the mositure we are receiving they may be pretty bad again this spring.. :o(

Just a heads up for everyone...

I moved to Brainerd area recently. In fact, kenneled by spaniel at Pine Shadows a couple months ago while out of town. I moved from NE MN, where deer ticks were not all that prevalent and really never much concern in terms of our training group. I note the concern about deer ticks in this area. Is lymes quite prevalent here? Will I spend alot of time picking ticks off myself and dog every time I train? Thanks/

Lyme is a big problem in the Brainerd area... You should check your dog after being out... Woods are much worse than in the grass fields. Early spring and fall are the times when the ticks are really out. Summer is not so bad from my experience. Last fall in this area was really a problem in the woods grouse hunting.

Not a bad idea to have you dog vacinated if it has not already been.

Be sure to use the Frontline monthly...My vet recommended every 3 weeks in the spring and fall.

Brainerd is a wonderful area but this area does have deer ticks.

Joel, Thanks for the advice. Haven't started training yet but will be sure to include tick checks after training for both dog and self. Up north, we had various retriever clubs we could join to gain access to training grounds. What options are there in this area for places to train? Thanks.

It can be amazing the number of ticks in the Brainerd area. Ive had lymes twice. Be extra careful after your in the woods. The little critters can get in any crack on your body. Use some type of repellent and check yourself in the mirror at nite-everywhere or have your spouse or girlfriend \:\) check you. If you have flu like symptoms during the summer get a test at the clinic and insist on it, if you let it go it can be very debilatating over time left untreated. In 1 day last year I had over 100 ticks on me. My dog had just as many. My dog had a lymes shot and I use frontline on him and that seemed to work.

As far as training grounds, Pine shadows just east of Brainerd has training on Wednesday evenings beginning a 4 pm and on Saturdays all day. Also NAVHDA has leased from the state some really great training grounds just north of Milaca on the west side of Hwy 169. You need to join NAVHDA (North American Versitle Hunting Dog Association) and buy a permit to use the training grounds. It's not very expensive but it's still a bit of a drive from Brainerd.

I am not sure if Hunts Point provides training grounds... I believe you need to join their club to use the grounds.

Others reading this may have some good ideas on training grounds in our area..

The deer ticks are really out now that the snow has melted... I had 2 on me yesterday and I found 4 on my dog. They really are a problem in this area.. I have also noticed that the CRP fields are not as bad as the woods for the ticks.