• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another training question

DuluthMedic

My choc lab is 8 months and 60lbs. What a barrel of fun...never a dull moment! H'es still in puppy/dumb mode. He knows sit, stay, come. But only likes to listen when he's on a leash. I walk him everyday and would like to walk with him off the leash. I'm thinking of an e collar, I feel this is the next step. I could put him on a check cord, but I don't think that would make a difference. He knows what I'm saying but I feel is testing me. Any advice? Thanks!

Teach your dog to HEAL. Very easy to do mine learned it after about a week of continious reinforcement. before I did I made sure he could sit and come. Hook him up to the check cord I had one roughly 50 feet.. and when he comes back to you guide him with the cord while saying heal and bring him to your side. usually Opposite of your shooting hand.have him sit once he is in the position you are happy with. From here you can teach him to HOLD or stay to mark fallen dumy/birds. When on walks I use a choke chain. Use a lead NOT a leash as you have more control over the dog with a lead. As he is walking next to you tell him to heal. Give the chain a slight [jerk-bait] when he gets out of correct position and repeat heal. Keep working with him on it, always end on a positive note! End with something he knows such as sit. most of all be PATIENT! suddendly it will just click one day and there you will have it. always remember you are the boss not the dog. Keep the lessons to 10-15 mins or until the dog tells you hes loosing interest! Thats my advice take it for what its worth hope it works for you!

a lead is only about 1 foot long no more then 2ft max to maintain better control! Go to gandermountain or cabellas something like that and look around the leashes and you will see a LEAD. I like the leather ones more comfortable to hold onto.A "leash" lets the dog get to far out infront of you i believe. When teachin a dog to walk at heal its very important to keep him there or to be able to bring him back to the posistion to correct him!

I have a 2 year old choc. male I got him to heal easy by first making him heal while on the leash always reinforce the heal. As soon as he starts to pull ahead give the leash a quick pull and say heal.I will sometimes just abrubtly stop and if he keeps going tug him back and say heal. I would do this on every walk twice a day. I also will walk him on the leash to a open field were I would work training with a dummy, ball, whatever.Let him of the leash by making him sit and stay,remove leash, say heal and begin walking, I usually make him heal for about 10-20 feet then I release him and let him check out the area when he gets about 50 yards away call him back, I usually whistle and when he gets closer I say heal and pat my thigh with my hand. Tire him out for a while and then walk back home, this is when I would remove the leash from the walk, a worn out dog seems to listen better.Start by doing this at times when most distaractions are gone ie. (later at night,morning,when most people don't walk). Any time they make a move away from you say heal firmly if they still move away say NO and make them come back and make him sit in the heal position. You have to talk to your dog alot alays correcting his moves that are unwanted if you see his ears purk up tail go up he is on something so say heal. Always try to be one step ahead of your dog,know what he is going to key on before him.I am not a pro but this as worked for me with 2 labs.I start this from day one I have found that a puppy will usually not wonder to far off if of the leash, let them look around ,call them back as they get older it will be common.Don't be afraid to be very vocal. I can walk my lab anywhere of the leash with any distraction around and he won't move from heal,as long as I correct him adruply.

You could try putting two collars on him.Start by making him walk on heal with a lead, put a check cord on the other collar. Take the lead off and throw it in front of him so he knows it's off say heal and if he doesn't listen just step on the cord he won't know what stoped him but he will think that you are right. You won't lose your dog if he won't heal the first time he thinks there is no rope.