• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camera at Twins game

I don't know if this is the right spot to ask this or not. I'm going to the game on Tuesday, and would like to bring my new 30D Canon along. I've looked at the Twins HSOforum and the Dome HSOforum, and all I can find out is any non-professional cameras are welcome. What does that mean? I, by any strech of the imagination, am NOT a professional! crazy.gif

When I took the family to "Nemo on Ice", at the Target Center, the security guard said the lens was too big. My only lens is the 17-85mm , so I had to run it back to the car. I'd rather not have to do that again. Thanks for any info.

MLB is restrictive about cameras and lenses at any baseball game. There is a controversy brewing between the credentialed shooters and MLB about the images they are taking the usage and amount of photos. It is a mess, so it may not be a good time to test MLB policies right now!

That said I think you should be OK with a 30D and 17-85. At times it can depend on the security person you end up with. I know folks that have managed a 70-200 on a camera and gotten through, others turned away. You won't get in with a pro body and large lens, you will be turned away.

Here is my advice, just go and enjoy the game. I am a bit like you I don't want to be running a camera back to my vehicle. I've shot from the field level and a 300 is short and a 400 is about right. Shooting from the stands will make it very difficult to capture any action shots.

Bring a point and shoot and get some shots of the atmosphere, friends, family enjoying the game. Sit back watch the game and have fun, baseball is back!

Originally Posted By: Dbl

Bring a point and shoot and get some shots of the atmosphere, friends, family enjoying the game. Sit back watch the game and have fun, baseball is back!

Actually, with proper timing, you can get some decent action shots with a good point and shoot. You just have to prefocus, in most cases.

Thanks for the advice! The only problem is that I no longer own a point and shoot blush.gif. I'll probably leave the camera at home. I'm sitting 17 rows behind home, so I thought it would be worth a try.

Last year for the home opener, I brought my DRebel and the 70-200 F4L and had no problem getting in. I got some good shots too. We were straight up from 3rd base in the upper level and I got some decent shots. Here is a shot that I snapped right as Morneau snapped the first homer of last season.

ISO 1600, 1/800 sec, F4 @ 200 mm. (posted large, because we are talking about quality from the stands.)

2376375498_2bef6f208a_b.jpg