• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Your favorite Corned Venison Recipe???

Just looking to get a good corned venison recipe. I have a few roasts left from 2007 season that need to be eaten up soon. I have some recipes from the net here, but thought I'd get a few FM'ers ideas on corning venison as I have not done it previously. Thanks for any and all advice you can give on this process.

No recipe here, sorry...

I would have to believe venison this way could be tricky because its so lean. I guess I would follow a standard recipe for cornned beef, dont over cook, then slice the roast thin and put it back in the juice to soak for a bit. I do this with venison roast in a crock pot with potatos, carrots, a packet of french onion soup mix, and some H2o. Slicing the meat up and putting it back in the juice is key...

Originally Posted By: JIGGIN'
Just looking to get a good corned venison recipe. I have a few roasts left from 2007 season that need to be eaten up soon. I have some recipes from the net here, but thought I'd get a few FM'ers ideas on corning venison as I have not done it previously. Thanks for any and all advice you can give on this process.

The hardest part is getting the sodium nitrate (salt peter)But you dont really need it, it basically just gives the meat that pink colorand its a preservitive,So go by any corned recipie,there all simular,you could also make your own spice bag of your choice.

Try this one.

Deli Style Corned Venison.

4-6# veni roast

5T mortens tender quick.

2T brown sugar

1T black pepper

1t paprika

1t ground bayleaf

1t ground allspice

1/2t garlic powder

Mix all together and rub roast with all of the mixture.

Place in ziplock and refridgerate. Turn over a couple times a day.

Lots of liquid will appear in bag. In about 5 days the liquid will disappear. It is now ready.

Rinse well, cover with water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 3-4 hours. Done!

This is a tried and true recipe. Very good!!

FYI-- Eight days ago I brined a couple small roasts in a recipe almost identical (found on a HSOforum) to the one above. Cooked it up yesterday and WOW! Everything about corned venison I have heard is true! I was really impressed. So low in fat and BIG in flavor! Tastes almost identical to corned beef without the fat you get on a corned beef. Put a couple slices of corned venison on some toasted pumpernickel bread and smothered with melted cheesed, topped with kraut and sour cream...OH NICE! If you have any roasts still in your freezer and are looking for something new to try, this is it!

Dewey or Jiggin,

Do you have to put a "spice packet" with the corned venison when you boil it? Most corned beef packages you buy in the store come with a spice packet of pickling spices (mustard seed, pepper corns, etc). Have you tried this or does it taste the same without boiling with the spices?

No spice packet needed, however I did add more bay leaf, added mustard seed and peppercorns when boiling. Don't know if it helped, but sure smelled good when boiling it up. The roast was really good re-heated and added to hash for a morning breakfast. I was amazed at this recipe.