• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rapala Power Hook Sharpener

Came across a handheld Rapala hook sharpener that runs off of batteries. Looks like a cool little tool. Not sure if it is new to the market or not but I think it is.

Anyone used it before? I was thinking that it might be useful for the pre season sharpen that usaully takes me a few hours.

I am going to pick one up tomorrow, I will post after I sharpen a few baits.

I bought one a couple years ago and wasnt very impressed when it came to big trebles. It works awsome for walleye cranks and that sort of thing but I went back to doing it with a hand file. Maybe you will have better luck with the one your looking at, mine was a black one.

if it's the one i think it is no it's not new. looks like a small dremmel tool with holes in the top and a red grinding stone inside. you may know this but i'll tell you anyway. sharpening hooks removes the anti rust coating, most popular is bronze, so extra care is needed to ensure they don't rust in exposed area. your better off changeing them to VMC, Owner or one of the several saltwater brands, or buy cheaper hooks and change them alot. after you sharpen them you can recoat with electroplate them with copper or cold galvanize them (zinc). or if you really want to get tricky hot coat them(zinc) which makes them saltwater hooks. even a little speck of rust can mean a missed opportunity with a smart experienced fish. good luck on your 10,001st cast.

Thanks for the good info guys!

The more I think about it, it isn't new, just repackaged.

I was wondering about how it would work on bigger trebles. I will give it a try but probably end up going back to the old hand sharpener.

Also, b1gf1sh, good info on the hooks.