• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question for newbie

gopher_nation

Congratulations on getting drawn (I assume ?). Turkey hunting is a ball and you can do just fine with most gear you probably already have as a hunter. I took a turkey last spring with a 3" 870 Express synthetic stock with my full choke screwed into the muzzle and No. 5 plain old lead. However, every gun, choke, and shot size is different. My best advice is to get out and pattern your gun. Buy some 4's, 5's, and 6's and experiment. You may even elect to purchase an aftermarket super tight choke and specialty metal shot.

Good luck and have fun. And if you ever have a question as you prepare for your hunt, be sure to drop into this forum, take a look around, use the search function, or ask a question. There are some great hunters that are here to help.

I also have an 870 that has killed a few birds and I don't use any choke. It patterns well with 2 3/4 in. no. 4 Heavy Shot. The best thing you can do is get out and shoot to see what works best. Good luck, you are on the road to a very fun and addicting sport grin.gif

Like DaChise said every gun is different. In almost every case an aftermarket choke will pattern better than the stock chokes that came with your gun. You won;t know if your gun's full choke will get the job done unless you try it first.

If it were me I'd grab a Comp n choke XXXfull or a Primos Jellyhead and get some #6 or #5 winchesters or federals. Lots of other options out there that are good but lots of guys have good results with these combos.

Good Luck!

Gopher:

I'll echo the comments already made, specifically regarding the fact that every gun/load/choke combination is its own beast.

If it were me, I'd lean towards any of the hevi-load type offerings, and stick with a choke in the 0.675 constriction zone. A bit tighter if going with lead. The 870's that I've tested with Winchester xtended, Hevi13, and Wingmaster Hi Density (Formerly Remington Hevishot) throw a mean pattern with that constriction (or more open).

Joel