• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where are all the little flatheads?

hanso612

Katchaser, great post thanks.

Do you think the flatheads in the video from pool four are a representative sample of the size stucture of what is out there or are there other pools of roughly equal size cats wintering elsewere?

If few big cats live to old age is true-one model might suggest a pryamid shaped age structure with fewer and fewer fish in each age group with some year class spikes- implying that there are vast schools of small fish elsewhere in the video.

Another model might suggest a large input and mortality within the first years with a few surviving, but once a certain size is achieved most fish live a long life leaving a pool full of large cats with few mid size fish in between-implying that there isn't a vast swarm of two and three year old fish out there.

What model do you think is closer to the truth and where do you think the 1,2and 3 year olds winter?

If the model is closer to the second, would it be possible to manipulate habitat to help more flatheads reach the age of success and would stocking older fish make way more sense?

Just a few things to think about. Thanks again for the hard data. Hans

Quote:
Do you think the flatheads in the video from pool four are a representative sample of the size stucture of what is out there or are there other pools of roughly equal size cats wintering elsewere?

My feeling is that wintering fish group up by size. I figure

the smaller fish will be in cover just big enough for them to fit into.

Quote:
If few big cats live to old age is true-one model might suggest a pryamid shaped age structure with fewer and fewer fish in each age group with some year class spikes- implying that there are vast schools of small fish elsewhere in the video.

This is the model I would suggest from several surveys

I have studied. I have data compiled from

dozens of electrofishing surveys compiled on one data

sheet.I will say the studies are somewhat

skewed because of low numbers of large flathead

captured (equipment voltage set for highest numbers).

Older flathead are also more apt to depart when

several boats with lots of noise are in an area.

The smaller fish may also be under represented due

to their wide distribution.

Just like in summer I beleieve the smaller fish are

in different areas (less desirable areas) because

the larger fish won't tolerate them in their areas.