• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crock Pot Timing Question

Okay so I love using our crock pots for various items and dinners, but the only option I have it to turn them on low at 7am (when I leave for work) and then they go until my wife gets home at 5:15. Does anyone know of a timer of sorts that can be plugged into the outlet and the crockpot plugged into that or anything like that? I am trying to avoid buying another crock pot but might need to try to find one with a timer if I can't find an alternative solution.

I think there is a timer/plug-in that you can use for any kind of appliance, not just specific for the crockpot. So are you burning stuff if it cooks all day? Are you using the lid? Add more water/liquid.

I too would be interested in some recipes utilizing the "gone-all-day" approach to crock-potting. My ma used to do this all the time, but any attempts I've made have been feeble at best. I think alot has to do with how much water you use if you're going to be away all day.

She always plugged it in downstairs and pulled it towards the center of the concrete floor. I think the rationale was that if something on the crock pot broke or caught fire, it didn't have anything nearby to burn. No fires, but the old man punted the thing a couple times coming round the corner!

Joel

not completly burning (sauces tend to sorch on the sides) and I do add extra stock to certain dishes, but the main concern is like roasts for instance...they cook so long when you take it out it shreds as opposed to being able to slice it (to tender -- good problem to have, but I'm fussy). So my concern is the overcooking of meat and sauces specifically.

Originally Posted By: jnelson
I too would be interested in some recipes utilizing the "gone-all-day" approach to crock-potting. My ma used to do this all the time, but any attempts I've made have been feeble at best.

There are some good recipes via the web and cookbooks that are specific just for crock pots. I have a couple one is crockpot cooking for dummy's and the other is 1001 crock pot recipes...

I would just get a digital timer for your crockpot because they do not draw that many amps that you need a special heavy duty one. The Westbend that we have is only rated at 250 watts compared to the wife's hair dryer at 1875 watts or even our coffee grinder at 150. It would only draw around 2 amps which is pretty minimal.

Joel, Have you a Barnes and Noble bookstore nearby? The have a Great cookbook section, and I know for a fact that they have at least 1 cookbook dedicated to the crockpot. You might be interested in that. You can save a trip and check online, just google B&N. BigWadeS, just be sure that any timer you get can handle the amperage that the crockpot draws, so that doesn't cause a fire. Phred52

I solved that same problem by using the same plug in timer that I use for the Christmas tree lights. It works perfect and I have never had a problem with it. You can get it at your local hardware store for a couple bucks.