• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question for Dan....

Yousa! That's a nice shot! Thanks stfcatfish for asking before I got home from my game and had to beg Dan to get the info! I KNOW I have to sit down with dbl, or better yet, get to a gym and watch him set this up. That is a wonderful shot!

The good news for me today is that my 300mm is working perfectly. And my new 1.4 will be here tomorrow. Back in business!

Oh, and stfcatfish, we're going to have to spell out that Finn and German business - I've seen that acronym used for another phrase! Either way, I'm in!

Originally Posted By: MARINERMAGNUM
I appreciate all the help from you fellers [old timers?]

Anyway,I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be setting up flashes on stands only to have a bunch of running 12 yr. olds knock them over and destroy all my stuff,spill pop on it,and smash it with their sneakers until it all looked like a bunch of black plastic Bacos-Bacon bits. [this would only happen to me,no one else in the universe]

I'm thinking I will prolly go with the 85 1.8 just for the fact that I wanna see how good of a job I can do with a cheaper lens 1st. Heck,what about a 50mm 1.4? too wide?

How much of an issue will the 85's thin DOF be if a person is far enough away from the subject?

Geez, what's Canon's problem? All i need is a 25-200mm 1.2L for about 400 clams.

The thing I would add is don't try this at home unless you carry a good insurance policy. My company carries two million in liability insurance just so when something like you mentioned happens I don't lose my house, and all my worldly possessions. Seriously if anyone is going to try this PLEASE e-mail me and I will discuss some very important things you need to consider.

As I mentioned before MM in addition to the 85/1.8 I would take a look at the 50/1.8. You can buy this lens for under $100 and it does a very good job for the price. This will give you a feel for what works well for you. The 50/1.8 is great under the basket shots.

Ken I'm just a phone call or e-mail away. You know you are ALWAYS welcome to pick what little bit I have in my head! We do need to shoot a few games together somehow! I've got baseball all day tomorrow and then that season really kicks into high gear for me so gyms will soon be a distant past! We can always catch a game in Duluth, unless you want to travel to Missouri and Florida with me ;\)

Dan,

Would love to travel south to shoot baseball this time of year, but being a teacher, they just won't let me take that time off - can't figure it out. Did look at your son's schedule a while ago and it seems there was a weekend in April that would work for me in Duluth. I'll be in touch!

Ken

I am going to chime in here and say that this particular discussion has been very informative. I do not shoot indoor sports but I do shoot indoor dances, under the worst lighting conditions imaginable. YOu guys did a a great job breaking down the 2 lenses and now I have an urge to go buy a 50mm.

Just wanted to let you guys know that is the type of thing that makes this board better than some others I have been on.

Paul

They go about $70 new, Paul, so $30 is a good deal if it's in good working condition and the glass is not scratched. I'd bring your camera in so you can test it in the store.

Autofocus on that lens is a bit buzzy and loud, but it sure is sharp and light.

And thanks for your thoughts on the value of this board. That's what we aim to do. grin.gifgrin.gif

The only downside to this board is that it can be very expensive. Everytime I see a sweet shot with a longer prime, I get a bigger and bigger itch to pull the trigger. Just have to many irons in the fire right now. My home computer is crashing so I am looking at a $500 upgrade to the core 2 quad proccessor with 8 gig of ram to help with PS, I have a $10k wedding in October to pay for, and I want a new boat. Guess I need a 3rd Job.