• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Four wheelers doing more damage than old three wheelers?

hanso612

I hunted for years on a subtantial trail system kept up with old Honda three wheelers. Sneeking into my stand under cover of darkness used to be a joy. The middle front tire made center path with no ruts. Now that most of us are using four wheelers with tires narrow enough to fit in a pickup, the trailes are all rutted up, often hold water and sneaking in is a cracking ice afair. Anybody else seeing this same thing? Is it from narrow tires or the pull of a four wheel drive. The old tires had more of a turf thread and most new tires have aggressive lugs. We have the same number of wheelers on our piece of woods. Anybody running old stile tires on modern four wheeler? Do ATV's still float? I liked that old feature as well.

First, a lot of the 3 wheelers had wider tires in front. Second, they were nowhere near as heavy as the current breed of ATV. Third, the engineering of these machines is far better than it was back in the 80's and people feel more secure with their abilities and ride faster. There's also a lot more ATV's now than there was in the 3 wheeler era.

I don't think the damage would be as severe if people would ride respectably, choose the proper tire for the terrain, and stay out of the wetlands.

I agree. The main thing is the weight and stock tires. It is proven that stock tires that are less aggressive do more damage in wet ground than tires that are suited for the terrain. We had alot of damage on our own private property from people spinning through on stock tires. I can creep through without spinning at all. Something to consider.

When spring comes around alot of atv enthusiast's come out to play. This is when alot of the ruts are made. There are alot of people that didn't use their atv all winter and are just wanting a nice spring day to go play.

We have a place in the woods North of Park Rapids and we tie into about 3300 acres of State and County land. A couple weeks before deer season the DNR put up signs on the logging trail by our drive way and several other spots on the trail that no motorized vehicles beyond this point. I found out they can still use the main logging trail but are not allowed to go off that main trail with any motorized vehicles any more, and there are other trails in the back area. I think it's a $150.00 fine. Something the State Legislature passed in 2007. I guess our woods and Paul Bunyon State Forest.