• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Its a good time to...

JayinMN

be buidling nest boxes. I made 6 nest boxes in about an hour and a half today for house wrens, chickadees and nuthatches. I also want to build a couple larger ones for owls. Springs coming quick, I have noticed crows are displaying in the air and chickadees are starting to sing too.

Good idea Jay!...I haven't built a bird house for over 30 years!...guess now would be good a time as any!...I never was interested in birds back then like I am now....we evolve....thing called "age"...lol! grin.gif....wonder if bird houses would (or should) be allowed down in the "bog"...hmmmm

Thanks for the reminder Jay. There are 3 purchased cedar bluebird houses ready to go in the garage, one more wood duck house on the way and a couple dozen nice dry birdhouse gourds in my barn that need to have entrance holes drilled & hangers put on them yet for the wrens. Won't put all of them out (it's noisy enough the way it is in the morning here) but will replace some of those that need it.

Johnny, I thought about building some to put down there too. My property can only hold so many. I see there are some old ones that look like they have not been maintained ain a long time along Hwy 7. The important part of setting them out is cleaning them when they are not being used or they will only be used once. I just use the scrap wood I have laying around. I don't think there would be any problem with hanging them on the WMA's or state land. I always wondered if it would be legal to mount them on telephone poles though?

Last year I put out 7 nest boxes for bluebirds and tree swallows and they were a big hit. This year I am going to add the boxes I just built onto some of the trails through my woods for the woodland birds. At our cabin I put up a nest box for owls and it has been used quite a few times so I would like to put a few up here too. I am going to have to try growing some of those gourds this year. I never thought about using them for wrens.