• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Why deep?

Kyle Sandberg

I've been fishing for crappies this past week really deep, like 40-55 fow. Why do they go deep like this? Are they chasing forage? The fish I've found have all been active which makes me think their feeding. Any thoughts?

I forgot to mention the fish were suspended in 56 fow and have been filling the entire water colum up.

Comfort and forage would be my two main guesses. They have an abundance of suspended forage as well as baitfish that will use those areas. And like mentioned, the water temps are more comfortable out there in deeper water. And believe it or not, but the open, suspended water is a safety measure too. Pike are less likely to catch a suspended crappie because the crappie is more maneuverable in open water. And of course you have safety in numbers \:\)