• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice house building question

mthunter

I am going to build an Ice house this summer/fall and have most of it planned out except for waht to use for the skids. Its going to be 10'x16'so it will more than likely sit in one spot all winter. What should I use for skids? Any info would be greatly appreciated. grin.gif

I made a 8x12 a few years ago on skids. I went to a small local sawmill and had him custom saw me a couple of 5" x 5" skids 16 feet long. I bolted them to the house frame with angle iron. The cost was around 40 bucks.

If you can get a hold of some UHMW plastic sheet material, cover the bottom of the skids with that, and it really cuts the friction when towing.

I used 11 gauge 2x6 steel runners on my 8x16. thing slides on the ice so good i just about rear ended my truck. It weighs 3150 pounds.Its amazing how easily it slides on the ice.I welded angle irons on the skids and bolted 2x4`s.I doubt the skids would last long if i would have to pull it on concrete.I put tires on the inside with hydraulic cylinders.I kinda got carried away after my first ice house rental at the big pond.

------------------
Dan