• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice questions

cluelessfisherman

Hey folks - I'm still a rookie to ice fishing, so I have a few Clueless questions for ya.

I know about honeycombing, but how soon after that does the ice go really bad and start falling apart? Also what does a windy day do to the ice (much like today)? Does it melt mostly from the top down, or does the water heat up and melt from underneath?
Also, how much honeycombed ice is necessary for a person to fish on? I assume there is no sure measure on that one, but would like your input anyway. Also how long is it going to take to melt 3 feet of ice with this weather?

Thanks

------------------
Clueless - -

Too many variables are in this equation. What I mean is only warm temps wont do much unless real warm. Wind and rain are the ones that get ice bad in a hurry. A combo of all 3 is real bad of course. Once the ice starts getting dark its dangerous. What is 3' here is 3" there. I have driven in 1 ft. of water and still had 3' of good ice below on red lake.
Im not sure but I woudnt walk on anything dark looking unless I new there was 12" of ice under me. I still would have picks and a life vest. Especially if nobody else is out where Im going.
Always fish with at least 1 other person and have rope with if any ?. Talk to locals who have been out and the baitshops. If they dont know or him and haw dont go out.

Also remember that 8" holes become the size of manhole covers at this time of year. Keep your eyes open and don't be out there when you can't see good.....T

A couple years ago, I was fishing with my brother - I believe it was April and about 70 degrees that day. There was still a good amount of ice on the lake (Minnetonka). But it did take my brother some driving around the lake before he finally found a spot we could walk out onto the lake that hadn't already had 5 feet of melt from shore. On the way back from a successful day - big gills. I fell through the ice. I would say there was at least 1 foot of ice, but it had deteriated (spelling) so bad that we had no right being out there. So keep that in mind, just because you have a foot of ice, don't mean that it is good ice. Like a fool my brother walked right over to me and pulled me out by the back of my jacket. The hole that was made was no bigger than myself. Thank god he didn't go in with me. After that experience, I do now carry picks!

------------------
I like Tail

This time of year the ice near shore is what gets weak the quickest. It always cracks me up though when some folks this time of year will park on the ice at the shoreline, but won't drive out. Eh' well grin.gif

Good luck smile.gif Be safe and catch some fish.

--------------
Fish On! Loosen your drag! cool.gif