• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When do they spawn???

First off I would like to say hello to all, as I am new to this forum.

Secondly, is there anyone from NW IA on here??

And last, When do walleyes spawn in the river?? And what presentation, bait, lure, etc. do you use??

Welcome RoyalFish,
Every thing I've ever read on walleyes has stated that they spawn when the water temps reach the low 40's. Generally around 43 degrees. However in rivers they will stage in spawning areas a lot earlier than that.Usually running up river to spawning areas or obstacles that they can't get around,like dams. They generally do this mid to late winter sometimes earlier. I use a jig and minnow, but others have been having luck with jigs and plastics. When fishing spawning fish I always practice CPR (catch, photo, and release).

Good luck Lucky

From my experience on the river they can spawn sometime in April. Maybe late April or early, it depends on when the ice gets off the river.

------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves. angry-smiley-046.gif

[This message has been edited by fishstunner (edited 03-14-2003).]

I am from NW IA. I do not do a lot of river fishing so I can't help you out. If you ever want to get out let me know. I know some good spots in the area but don't fish them much now that I am in school.

IceMan

Hello Royalfish I live in NW Iowa. Storm Lake to be exact.Walleyes on the river will start biting hard soon after iceout. If river you are talking about is Little Souix try Linn Grove below dam or old dam at Peterson. Have heard reports of some eyes being taken thru ice at old dam site by Peterson. Minnows are bait of choice.

Thanks for all the replies.

So they just tend to spawn in about 40-45 degree water?? When you talk about structure for spawning would that be a deep hole with a nice sandbar.......or only things like dams and rockpiles??

F Irish......yes I am talking about the Little Sioux. I have never really fished at the dam in Linn Grove but heard it is a great spot. I have been down to Peterson numerous times this winter and caught lots of walleyes but they were all about 9-10 inches long.......one day we caught about 35-40 in a few hours.

RoyalFish the info I gave you is just a basic overview there are a lot of variables to consider. The structure that walleyes generally spawn on are shallow rock and gravel bars,in moderate current sometimes in the main river itself and sometimes in tributaries. It just depends on what they have to work with. The only waters I fish that allow you to fish spawning walleyes in Minnesota is the Mississippi River, where it borders Wisconsin.

Lucky

Male walleyes might move in to spawning areas when the water temp is below freezing or just above, females might not move in til weeks later. The water temp that they spawn at depends on the latitude from the articles and books I've read. The walleyes in the northern region may spawn in water 15 degrees lower than walleyes in the southern region.I've also read that if the water warms slowly they spawn at temps lower than normal, and if the water temp rises faster than normal, they spawn at temps higher than normal and spawning may last only days not weeks.

[This message has been edited by Wigeon (edited 03-16-2003).]

The eyes are going up the St.Louis River as we speak. They will spawn up river in the 2 miles or so closest to the ****. Usually in shallow water out of current.
We are starting to catch this run off of Wis. Point. What a blast! Stay ice stay.
Jig and minnow all day long. Nothing else needed when they are that thick in that small of a area. The river that is.