• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question for Roofer.

Bandit

What's the deal with the strap on your winch, did you replace the cable with a strap, or is it some kind extension? Looks like it would be nice to work with. I have a warn 3500 that is going to need a new cable one of these days, might go that route instead. Thanks for any info.

Looks like it is Synthetic Winch Rope. Pretty neat stuff!

It won't rust, doesn't kink, doesn't recoil, doesn't stretch, it doesn't store energy, its lighter and stronger than a comparable sized cable. It is a bit spendy though, many places easily get a buck or more a foot depending on the size, but I don't know anyone that regrets getting it.

The strap is just the warn strap that goes on the hook. It is a 3.0s which is synthetic and a locking brake. I just don't like the wire cable after using the rope. You can get the blue amsteel rope from motoalliance for about $50.

I think its aluminum oposed to steel. Most newer winches come with aluminum anyway. Mine warn came with synthitic and I really like it. You do have to be carefull with it though I cut mine wraping it around a post, you can tie it in a knot just like a nylon rope if it breaks though. I would definetly recomend making sure there are no burrs on your drum and replacing flairhead first though.

That's a good reminder for all winch owners. I always use a 6 ft. strap I bring with me to wrap around trees and then hook the winch to that. Very bad for the cables or syn. rope to be hooked to itself around something.