• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

North&South Turtle Lakes - Vilas County?

Anybody ever stay at the Wilson's resort on the Turtle Lakes near Winchester, WI in Vilas County?

Can anyone tell me how the fishing is? I would be going there to target Muskies.

I hope to maybe try it next summer of course.

Thanks.

Krats,

I live down the road a short way from Wilsons....I have fished the Turtles for quite a while and I will attest to a large population of muskies in the Chain, particularly South Turtle. I usually fish it for walleye, but there are lots of muskies. I know Wilson and he has a few cabins right on the water. Never been in them, but he seems to keep them rented out alot. I f you bring your boat, you can always trailer it as there are MANY lakes in the immediate area to fish within 10 minutes drive.

Anything else you need to know?

Pescatore,

Thanks for the info. John's brother is a long time family friend and I never knew of the resort. I have only been fishing muskies here in MN for about 3 years but I am still a novice at it. I thought that it would be a nice place to come visit and try to get the rest of my young family interested in Muskies.

What would you say are the best times of the year to visit your area and fish for muskies?

Does the turtle lake chain get alot of angling pressure for them.

I will be bringing my own boat.

Thanks again, I look forward to visiting WI this next year.

Brett-Baxter,MN

The best time for big fish is NOvember, but that is a bit cold for the family...The first few weeks of June are always good as they are recovering from spawn and go on a feeding binge. It is my favorite time to fish muskies. Comfortable that time of year also...other species are getting into early summer patterns and fishing is generally pretty good for all species in early June. Mid JUne the mayfly hatch hits and really shuts the walleyes down for a week or so...the Turtles experience a HUGE mayfly hatch that really screws all the fishing up...I am quite familiar with many of the lakes in the area and it would be no problem to lead you in the right direction. The catching will be up to you though! As far as pressure, the Turtle chain gets a fair amount but nothing that is crazy. More traffic in July when the water is warmer and the YAHOOS get their jet skis out....which by the way are pretty scarce up here on some lakes...

Mike