• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anybody build their own arrows?

scotty18

I've been building my own cedar and aluminum arrows for at least 15 years now, but I have no experience with carbon arrows. I thinking about a set of carbons for my recurve. Can you use the same Bohning product for gluing, dipping and cresting? Any other tips would be great. How about cutting to my draw length?

Thanks,Scotty

I make my own arrows, the only thing I do not do is cut them since I don't have a cutter (different blade than an aluminum cutter) with carbons, all you have to do to fletch them is make sure the contact spot is very clean. I had a few trial and error runs but once I sanded down the shaft with a scotchbrite pad and used acetone it stuck with no problem. I have no experience with dipping but I would assume its the same for carbon. keep the shaft clean. you'll be very happy you went to carbon. also with carbons, you have to get a 2 part epoxy that bohning sells, one syringe goes a long way.

Goat Tuff works great for gluing in inserts and I have had good luck with Bohning's Fletch-Tite Platinum for the fletchings.

You really need one of those high speed saws with the carbon blades to make a clean cut.