• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fall broadleaf herbicide application

LwnmwnMan2

With looking at the thermometer in the window this morning (32) I figured I'd post this as well.

I know farther north, there were temps below freezing.

Once you get the first frost in your area, it's the IDEAL time to do a broadleaf herbicide application on established turf.

What happens is, the weeds are triggered by the cooler temps to "suck in" more nutrients to the soil. If you apply herbicides now, rather than in the middle of the summer, you're going to have the best chance to get that chemical to the root system.

The plant will then die off, leaving you a weed free (98% anyways) lawn next spring. This will not kill the seeds in the soil that haven't germinated yet, but it will kill established weeds.

Quote:

What do you recommend for a herbicide? I have 2.5 acres that we just bought, it sat for a year so the broadleaf are running rampant.

Personally I use a product called "momentum fx2". If you look at the post "Lesco Fertilizer", you can see another poster reoommends it too.

I've heard other posters here use Trimec, which should work as well.

Whatever you use, look on the front of the label, it should list the percentage of active ingredient. Just compare products and get whatever has the highest a.i. where you're comfortable shopping.

There's also a product called 3-way, Speedzone, Q4, many many different ones.

The momentum is usually mixed 1-1.5 oz / 1000 sq ft covered, so you can break down the pricing per ounce for other products as well.

If you wanted to get technical more than that, let me know.... laugh.gif

grin.gif

Quote:

Do you only give your lawn one shot or do you spray it again in about week or two? (I am talking about the broad leaf herb.)

Most labels will say you can reapply in 3-4 weeks. It's hard to say from one product to another without having the label in front of oneself, but as a general rule of thumb....