• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winter spots

TNFL

When is a good time to start scouting for weeds that will stay healthy during winter. And, what types of weeds would these be? Is there any specific bottom type that is more suitable for healthier winter weeds?

Anytime is a good time to start looking, but my best advice is use a camera during the winter. The biggest indicator of whether or not plants are doing well is how much snow we get and to a lesser degree how much ice we get. Plants only grow in the photic zone of lakes (where light reaches) and that photic zone decreases in the winter. Types of weeds are similar to the summer. You are better off finding broadleafs or clump edges. A camera can really help you out. If you are lucky enough to find some green stuff, even better.

If you don't have a camera, I would advise getting out first ice and just walking around in the shallows and mentally mapping things out. Maybe print a paper map off the DNR HSOforum and take notes. Last year I was walking some bays on Minnetonka marking weedlines because the ice at first ice is crystal clear, not too thick, and generally the water is pretty clear after settling from turnover. You also don't have all the snow and cracks that block everything out.

Good luck.

Although this sounds like a self explanitory question here are some tips I can offer.

First, as far as the weeds go, areas of the lake that recieve the most light will remain standing longer and may hold more oxygen longer than shaded areas of the lake. Pick the northern parts of the lakes at first Ice to find green standing weeds and fish.

Second, kind of a sleeper, look for areas where creeks may enter or exit a lake. This can also carry food for baitfish and or oxygen to keep weeds up and green. However make sure to pay attention to Ice conditions because they can change from day to day.

Third, bottom transitions. This could be as simple as a dropoff. Often weedlines that go to deeper water can be a great place to look as well. These are natural highway's for Panfish and they will use them the whole Ice fishing season.

Fourth, Flats... this can be a difficult one to understand because fish can be there one day but gone the next. They are gathering areas for fish but when schools of Panfish gather there are often predator fish that chase them around as well.

The sky is the limit when it comes to targeting fish under the Ice but that's what keeps it interesting. I don't know all the answers when it comes to fishing but putting the puzzle together has it's rewards. laugh.gif

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold