• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Roses getting "eaten" by something

Valv

My wife Kathy roses are getting "eaten" by something, we cannot see what is it, and we sprayed with Bayer Rose & Flower insect killer, but now we are not sure they are bugs, it might be a desease.

What do you think is the problem, here's some pics:

kathyrose1.jpg

kathyrose2.jpg

3-4 questions for you Valv.....

How long ago did you spray??

How often do you water these, what time, do you water the plant?? Or the ground underneath.

Do you know what kind of rose it is?? The top almost looks like a carefree wonder rose, but can't really tell.

The roses are "Nearly Wild Rose shrub", and they are being eaten by any number of chewing catepillars. Soon they will be butterflies and no more chewing. They have no long term effect on the rose other than unsightliness. You can use a product like Sevin to control them if you wish, but the damaged leaves will remain damaged. New growth will eventually cover up the damaged leaves.

Good Luck!

Ken

Looks like it could possibly be Japanese Beetles. They really love roses. I've been dealing with them this summer on my trees. It looks like some of the leaves are skeletal looking which is what they will do. Right now the adults are laying eggs in the ground so you may not see them around at this point. Just keep an eye open for these buggers!