• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bladder Control Problem?

I have a 6 yr old GWP, spayed female, who seems to be having a bladder control issue. She is in the house most of the time. She seems to be having a bladder control problem, as when she is laying down she will sometimes leave a wet spot. This seems to happen occasionaly, not all the time. She also does not seem to be trying to go, it just happens. I talked to the Vet and he seems to think it is a estrogen deficiency causing weakness in the smooth muscle tissue (bladder control muscles). I need ot get a urine sample in for testing to know for sure, but he did give me some meds to start her on. Anybody else have any similar problems. The Vet said it is fairly common in spayed dogs once they get older. Just looking for other opinion or experiences. Thanks!

My lab has the same trouble. She is a little older now (12), but it was around that 6-7 years of age when she went on the estrogen "supplement". Seems to work well. If I remember right, it takes a while to dial in how much to give them. I think you have to get it going in their system then you might be able to cut the pills in 1/4 and try that for a week. I believe you will need to give her a pill everyday to keep the mishaps from happening, but I swear my dog felt so bad when she had an accident it is a small price to pay for piece of mind (both hers and mine).