• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rattle traps

When you say rattle trap, I'm thinking of the crankbait, is that what you are talking about? If so, how are you using it (snap jigging or lift & drop etc.) and are you tipping it with live bait? I've never heard of using these for ice fishing.

Well, its definately not a rattle trap but I have used something similar. Its kinda like a cicada only in a rapala version. I'll get back to you with the name.

I use Rattle Traps on Perch and Walleyes on a few lakes around here. Stained water is where they seem to work best for me.

Yes , The Bill Lewis Rattle Traps. LOL

I can't wait to try Ambush Lure's Stealth Diver. It looks like a rattle trap and has the flow through technology (a tapered hole) from the front that exits out the rear. It's designed for Bass fishing but I tried one at a show in my aquarium and it darts a little out to the side and wobbles. It should work for Walleyes. Kind of like how the Chubby Darter works.

------------------
Bruce Mosher,www.icebusterbobbers.com

BRUCE
I bought a few of those Ambush Stealth Divers last winter to bring on my trip to LOW but I forot to pack them with my gear.
When I got back to NY we had no ice left so I took them to one of our Finger Lakes (Seneca Lake) where the perch make Devils lake perch look like baitfish. I was vertical jigging over the side of the boat to see if these very picky perch would be interested. Not a touch but the Lake trout ate them up. Even the one that ws just hanging over the side of the boat was getting slammed.
I'll have them this winter at LOW and give them a woorkout.

GEEMAN
Take and spray paint one of those Rattle Traps flat black and then paint the eyes with a little glow and put an orange dot on the glow.
Yahhh, dis one vill put da walleyes on da ice it vill !
Sometimes I put a few "suspends Dots" on the bottom to make it sink faster if the fish are real deep.
Also put single hooks on instead of the trebles.

MILF,
Ya I was referring to the crankbait. Experiment with presentation. I'll rip or lift drop then shake or quiver.
I generally don't tip, however I don't figure it would hurt.
I like trip grips for fewer lost fish.

esoxlucius,
Thanks for the tip, I will try it this winter. What are "trip grips'? And do you think this technique would work with Rapala version (rattling rap)?

[This message has been edited by MILF (edited 10-27-2002).]

Trip grips are the mustad triple grip hooks. Darn near need a pair of pliers to get them out. Rattle traps are an amazingly productive bait, but the fish get real good leverage on them and throw the baits so often they'll darn near bring tears to your eyes. Just ask the bass meisters down south and out west. Switch hooks, problem solved.
Never used the Rap. Give it a shot and let us know.

Tony On Ice; Wait untill you see Ambush Lure's new scent. It is called Elmers Sticky scent. It is very sticky. They have Garlic, Crawler, Shad and one other scent. The In-Fish boys will be writing about their Scent. They used it Ice Fishing last winter and Supposedely it worked. When you apply it it stays put for a very LONG time. Most other scents need to be re-applyed every 5 to 15 minutes. Nuf Said, Ice is coming!!!!

------------------
Bruce Mosher,www.icebusterbobbers.com