• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cold Front Panfish

Coach1310

Okay...this weekend is my favorite fishing trip of the year. We will be up in the Bemidji/Cass Lake area and we usually get into some good panfish action. What can we expect this weekend? Will they still be up shallow in the cold or will we have to search the depths for them? What tactics do you use in cold front/cold weather conditions? Thanks for any info!!

It's been a cold front kind of week, that's for sure. We had the second cold front go through today and there's another 1 a day or two away.

I would guess it depends on what the weather is like the day you fish. If it's sunny and warm, they might be up in the shallows. Last Saturday morning, which was right as a cold front was going through, I found a huge school of crappies suspended over deeper water. They were between 15-20 feet down in 26-28 feet of water, but they were biting very light.

If they aren't up shallow, the crappies will probably be suspended over deeper water somewhere and the sunnies will probably be somewhere around 10-15 FOW closer to the bottom. Look for areas that the fish should be in if they were up shallow, then slide out a bit deeper to find them.

It might be tough to find mainlake temps in the mid 60s up there this weekend. However, I would still be willing to bet that you'll find the fish in shallow. Look to the inside weedline, as well as the marinas. Weeds are going to be key. Also try Andrusia to the west and definitely Kitchi to the north. Both of those bodies of water will hold pannies right now and shouldn't be too difficult to locate. Mainlake Cass could be a challenge though, although Allan's Bay (I believe it's Allan's on the far southwest side) could hold some fish too...

Thanks for the info. It is gonna be a chilly one, but if the fish cooperate I really don't care how cold it is. We will start in our traditional shallow spots and work our way out. Hopefully my hands are sore on Tuesday from all the catch and release of the big crappies and gills!! grin.gif

Thanks again!!